Phase2auto
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Strangest System will not boot without entering bios

HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After doing a clean install of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. Computer displays "No boot disk has been detected" after each restart. It seems as though the SSD drive is not being recognized or detected as the primary drive. Issue can be resolved by entering and exiting bios after restart. No changes need to be made to bios. Simply press f10 upon restart and then save and exit and the computer starts perfectly fine until the next restart.

Memory tests fine

Hard drive tests fine

No Prior issues with Windows Home

Issues only started after clean install and deletion of previous partitions on both SSD and HD

System is new

2 Drives

256 GB Toshiba SSD as primary 1 mb unallocated space

2 TB Sata MBR 1.9TB and 500mb system reserved MBR

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,583 30,490 2,787 6,735
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Phase2auto

It's not clear from your comments if you've already done this, so if you have, I'm sorry to tell you something you already know ...

But, you should go into the BIOS settings and look for the list of drives connected to the PC.  They will be shown in the order that the BIOS sees them and your SSD needs to be the first drive in the list.  If it is not, there should be a way to move it to the top (on my BIOS screen, it is done pressing the PgUp key).  Once it is as the top, save the settings and exist out of the BIOS config screens.

On the next reboot, the PC should boot directly from the SSD -- unless, when you reinstalled Windows, you had the HDD also connected and Windows simply updated the boot files already on the HDD.

If that is the case, you can get a free utility known as EasyBCD from Neosmart Technologies:  http://neosmart.net/forums/

That will allow you to "migrate" the boot loader files from the HDD to the SSD, so after that, you should boot OK from the SSD.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In addition to what the Other Person suggested, there are two possibilities:

1. the disk-drive is "slow" to respond, after a restart -- it does not respond quickly-enough for the motherboard to think that it is "alive".  So, the extra few seconds (restart, enter/exit BIOS setup) allow the disk-drive to get "ready" for being queried by the motherboard;

2. the motherboard has a problem when doing a ""restart" -- I once had a computer like that. It would never "restart" correctly.  I had to power-off for 20 minutes, and then it would reboot.  Annoying!

In both of the items above, there is no "solution", other than hardware replacement, if the "annoyance-factor" gets too high.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> System is new.

If that is true, then the one-year HP Warranty is still active.

So, Contact HP, and open a claim against the warranty, to get HP to repair/replace the computer, at no cost to you.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation