Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System Thread Exception not handled Amustor.sys

p6-2420t
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I went to restart my computer and got the blue screen message "System Thread Exception not handled (AmUStor.sys)". The computer restarts but always comes back this same screen.  I have tried less invasive System Recovery options like:

>system restore (several times): says I cannot complete because it cannot open a file, likely due to and  antivirus program.

>using the command prompt: but any command I try to use "is not recognized as an internal or I external command, operable progam or batch file."

>I read a solution that involves booting in safe mode, but changing boot options is not listed under advanced options.

What to do?

8 REPLIES 8
AngelitoAstilla Top Student
Top Student
4 3 0 2
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got the same error recently. 

I didn't go through with the system restore option but just shut down the PC, waited for about 1 minute then turn it on again.

It started normally again, it seems to be related to a windows update, because after starting, I saw the windows update in progress.

anybody here knows if this error is critical?

Retired
Retired
8,219 6,895 449 842
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Bsod1,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand that you are getting a BSOD message, in this case "System Thread Exception not handled Amustor.sys". I am happy to help with this.

First a shout out to @AngelitoAstilla; thank you for the contribution of your experience, and that it was so easily resolved, but it seems Bsod1 is not having the same luck.

I understand that you are having some trouble getting into Windows Safe Mode, so lets start with that. I would suggest reviewing this document: HP PCs - Windows Safe Mode (Windows 10, 😎. It includes several methods of getting into that environment, including if your computer has trouble starting up. Try out the method under the heading "Entering Safe Mode without access to Startup Settings". Let me know if that part works for you.

For the BSOD error, I found the following from the Microsoft forums that could be helpful to you:

windows 8.1 update on 3-11-2015 had killed the system. Cannot reboot . Error says System Thread Exce... - answers.microsoft.com

Also there was this I also found, someone else did to deal with this BSOD message.  Amustor.sys? - pctechbytes.com

In that case it was more about disabling the device in Device Manager that uses the Amustor.Sys driver.

Please let me know how that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
jlkittle Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had this issue with W10 Update KBKB3172985.

In Device Manager, I disabled the Alcor Micro USB 2.0 Card Reader in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.

The next restart successfully completed the install.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 20 1 1
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too had this problem recently. The only thing that worked was diabling the Alcor Micro SD card reader. My Envy desktop could now update via Windows Update. But here is another related question:  do I need to keep this card reader permanently disabled in order for future Windows Updates to work properly?  I know that I have the LATEST device driver for this device becuase I explicitly checked. So I am wondering what the real problem is:  incompatibility with Windows 10? Something wrong with my PC?  I have no clue. I was just hoping that someone could shed some light on this.

I suppose the worst case scenario would be to keep the device disabled until needed. Then enabale it and use it. Then disable it again prior to shutting down. But this seems somewhat idiotic. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
DanMacACOG Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

One of my users experienced the same problem with Windows 10.

On reboot when it updated the machine crashed.  AMUSTOR.SYS

I was able to get to the Boot to Safe Mode command, but it went and repaired the system and restarted twice before coming up to Windows.

The file date is Windows 10 install date, but the inside driver date is last year. I was not able to locate an update for it. I am going to disable the Flash Card reader and then restart and update the machine.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
25 20 1 1
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your scheme will work for it worked for me. But if I have the most "up to date" version of AmUStor.sys, why does this conflict with Windows update on restart after update? It seems idiotic to have to disable a device that one paid for. One might think that Microsoft or the company that created AmUStor would take some responsibility and resolve this issue in a more satisfactory manner.
DanMacACOG Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Preaching to the choir.
My client didn't care as she doesn't use it, but you are right the USB manufacturer should create a new .sys file that works.
0 Kudos
josefin1 Top Student
Top Student
4 4 0 1
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is how to Fix “System Thread Exception not handled” in Windows 10

1:- Right-click on “Start” icon positioned at the bottom left corner of your screen. Click on “Device Manager”.

2:- Double click on “Display Adapters”. Right click on the video driver installed on your system and click on “Properties”.

3:- Click on “Uninstall” to remove your video adapter driver software. Click on “OK” to finish this step.

4:- Install the newer version of your driver by downloading it from the hardware website. 

Source:- http://merabheja.com/fix-system-thread-exception-not-handled-in-windows-10/

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation