Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System will not boot to windows 10

I have the problem, but the Restore will not work, probably for one of two reasons:

1The Restore partition is Windows 8

2 Bitlocker file encryption is turned on. When trying to install Windows the installer says to go to Control Panel and disable Bitlocker - this would be OK if the computer would start so I could get to CControl Panel.

Does anyone know how to turn Bitlocker off without going into Windows?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,550 9,452 761 3,508
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System will not boot to windows 10

@NeilH2 wrote:

I have the problem, but the Restore will not work, probably for one of two reasons:

1The Restore partition is Windows 8

2 Bitlocker file encryption is turned on. When trying to install Windows the installer says to go to Control Panel and disable Bitlocker - this would be OK if the computer would start so I could get to CControl Panel.

Does anyone know how to turn Bitlocker off without going into Windows?

Hello @NeilH2

Welcome to the HP Support forum.

1. Yes, your PC needs to be decrypted for the recovery to work properly

If you are unable to boot to Windows to decrypt the PC, you need to use HP Recovery Media (purchased online or created by you) or you need to perform clean Windows installation

2. If you have Windows installation media, you need to perform the so called "Custom" installation, delete all existing partitions and then install Windows on Disc 0 Unallocated space

* If you just want to recover Windows but you don't have issues with Windows itself or Bitlocker

OR

* If you want to recover the files from inside your PC before reinstalling Windows

the only other option is to get the HDD out, plug it into another Windows PC (Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10) , it will detect the HDD, will ask you for Bitlocker encryption key and you will then be able to decrypt it or access the files

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG

===============

If you need more specific advice or assistance, please provide more information such as:

- Your specific HP product model and product number (p/n) >> http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

- Your initial Windows version and your current Windows version

- Which Windows version you prefer for usage ?

- Details about the problem

- Do you know how to make your own Windows installation media

- Do you have HP Recovery media ?

Thank you for your cooperation!

Your feedback and update are important.
Click below on Accept As Solution and Likes+ icon if my comments helped or to say thanks

I work for HP Inc. *** I express personal opinion only and do not speak for HP *** Volunteer *** My location: Europe ***
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation