Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Timing for solution to black screen problems?

Pavilion 27-a210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After flipping through recent comments it looks like the black screen issue I am experiencing is pretty common.  How long do you think it will take Microsoft and/or HP to fix the issue?  Days, weeks, months, ever?  I have no idea what to expect?

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> How long do you think it will take Microsoft and/or HP to fix the issue?  Days, weeks, months, ever? 

I am sure that HP has made Microsoft aware of the problem.

That implies that Microsoft will release an update on October 10 -- the next "2nd Tuesday of the month" date for releasing updates.  So, it could be "less than one month".

Or, for "critical" problems, Microsoft has been known to release "out-of-band" updates, as soon as the updated software passes their internal Quality Assurance reviews, for all languages that Windows 10 supports.  So, it could be "days" or "weeks".

Or, for computers that have not updated since the 2nd Tuesday in this month, it's possible that the update will be "pulled" from Windows Update -- meaning that the update will not be available to those not-yet-updated computers.  Or, a "version 2" of the update will be available via Windows Update, both to "updated" and "not-yet-updated" computers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So for someone like me that is computer illiterate I won't have a computer until next month? What do I do in the meantime? I need my laptop on a daily basis
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
722 704 30 163
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Microsoft will blame HP, HP will blame Microsoft. And off it will go.

It's couple of days already and there's no mention of this issue going wide-spread & balistic except on this forum. So don't hold your breath in anticipation for a quick resolution here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 2 0 1
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since I have until Sunday to return my Pavilion to Best Buy it looks like my safe bet is to return it and try a Dell or Lenovo.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi MTS999

You can temporarily fix the black or blank screen at startup by opening Cortana.

Then enter msconfig or ask Cortana to open msconfig.

Open System Configuration.

Select the Services tab.

Uncheck and/or disable App Readiness.

Restart your PC.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Installed Windows 10, version 1703, on Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte motherboards.

No problems with App Readiness.

So I would guess the problem is on HP's end.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
722 704 30 163
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

By the same token: I still sit on Anniversary Update (whether I want it or not) and have not encountered this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  Installed Windows 10, version 1703, on Asus, Asrock, and Gigabyte motherboards.

> No problems with App Readiness.

Good.

Now, please run Microsoft Windows Update on each system, and tell us if those updates from Microsoft have introduced the symptoms.

> So I would guess the problem is on HP's end.

How did you reach that conclusion?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7
722 704 30 163
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

For reference from another thread:

Well, there you go:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/19/black_screen_after_windows_update_microsoft_says_blame_hp/

MS bulletin that was just published:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043345

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation