Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Trouble installing new graphics card

NO 550-106na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please help. One year and one month after buying my desktop, the HDMI has broken and i have had to switch to a poor video output. The graphics card is a Radeon r5 and the HDMI port is separate on the motherboard rather than integrated into the card. I bought an Nvidia GT 1030 and tried to install it but the Radeon R5 and R7 drivers appear to be difficult to remove and i can't view anything with new card. The processor is an AMD A10-870 Radeon R7. Do I have to buy a Radeon r5 card or could i get a better card? I have changed the psu too but that is working fine. Getting very frustrated as this type of thing was easy on last pc. Any help much appreciated. 

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
47,068 41,321 4,510 11,806
Message 2 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When a graphics card is installed, the HDMI output on the motherboard is disabled. 

Which specific Nvidia GT 1030 card did you buy? What are the brand and part number?

How much memory does the card have onboard?

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

#HelpStopTheSpread #PracticeSocialDistancing distancing
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 3 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. :manhappy:

It's a Gigabyte nvidia Geforce GT 1030 2GB memory silent low profile. Should I have gone for AMD to match the processor?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The issue you are facing is that the installed PSU is not capable of providing enough power.

You will need to remove the new video card until you have upgraded the PSU. Low power with a component trying to draw more than a PSU is capable of can damage the motherboard.

Gigabyte recommends that the PSU be able to supply a minimum of 300W. See the bottom of the specification page.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1030D5-2GL#sp

The internal PSU in your PSU is only capable of providing 180W. I suggest upgrading to a unit like the Corsair models in the following link at Newegg.com

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007657%2050001459%2060047...

I am not an HP Employee.
You can click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply was the information you were looking for that helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 5 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks again.

I have updated the power supply to a Corsair 550w so it should be fine. No mention on a power plug-in on Graphics card  instructions and I could not see one . I had to get an adapter for the CR-ROM/DVD and it appears to be working fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gowerstowers wrote:

Thanks again.

I have updated the power supply to a Corsair 550w so it should be fine. No mention on a power plug-in on Graphics card  instructions and I could not see one . I had to get an adapter for the CR-ROM/DVD and it appears to be working fine.

Did the upgraded PSU resolve the issue?

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 7 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

No. Unfortunately not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which video output from the PC are you using?

For troubleshooting purposes:

Remove the new card and replace it with the original card. Connect the video output to the display and power on the PC. Does the video appear as it did before you changed the components?  

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 9 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Original card is now back in. HDMI does not work but it does work with the VGA output. Quality is poorer but it can still play games.

Thank you again Erico for persevering.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 19
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am still with you. 🙂

OK.  Now we know the PCIe x16 slot is good.

The video card itself may be faulty. 

Contact the seller and arrange for an RMA. 

I am not an HP Employee.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation