Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unable to Boot To Windows

HP 20-2010ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting secure Boot Violation error,  Operating system not detected On Hard drive for few days now.  I've gone through Repair and recovery options but  nothing seem to work.  Prior to that for a little while was getting Time /Date error at  times and had to sort that out though did Boot to windows. I've tried disabling Secure Boot and Enabling Legacy but makes no difference either way,  also set the Default option in BIOS.   I've completed all the Hard Drive tests but these all pass and displayed correctly in  BIOS.  This is an All in One Pc, 4.5 years old now, though  I do also have  a  more modern PC>   Any advice appreciated,  know  operating system may well be corrupted though, possibly issue with CMOS battery. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I got lost in the forest. The following suggestions may be pointless.

Very sorry for wasting your time.

I screwed up!

Much to your credit you have run good system tests.

You can't load Windows at this point. Can you get to the HP Startup Menu by tapping "ESC" at boot?

Select "Setup" to enter the HP BIOS.

Keep BIOS settings at defaults. Reset BIOS defaults.

Check the BIOS date and time settings

Look at RAM (HP diagnostics, see below *) or changing the CR2032 MB battery. This will reset CMOS

What specific repair and recovery options did you deploy?

Eliminate hardware failures by running full HP (*system diagnostics, Link for more info).

Then try reinstalling the operating system after backing up data if this is possible.

Continuing issues after reinstalling the operating system points to hardware failure not detected by HP Diagnostics.

Regards

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I will look into this further later, I can get into start up screen and run Hp  Diagnostics and have run quite a few tests, However unable to reinstall Windows, repair tool unsuccessful.  May not be solution in my case but thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JAMES4578 wrote:

1. I'm getting secure Boot Violation error, 

2. Operating system not detected On Hard drive for few days now. 

3. I've gone through Repair and recovery options but  nothing seem to work. 

4. Prior to that for a little while was getting Time /Date error at  times and had to sort that out

5. though did Boot to windows.

6. I've tried disabling Secure Boot and Enabling Legacy but makes no difference either way,  also set the Default option in BIOS.   

7. I've completed all the Hard Drive tests but these all pass and displayed correctly in  BIOS. 

8. This is an All in One Pc, 4.5 years old now, though  I do also have  a  more modern PC.   

9. know  operating system may well be corrupted though,

10. possibly issue with CMOS battery. 

1. If the CMOS battery is failed, then the BIOS SETTINGS may have changed.

If you installed Windows with "secure boot" disabled, and now it is enabled, you get the "violation".

If you installed Windows with "secure boot" enabled, you must boot with that option enabled.

2. Enter BIOS SETUP, and check that the list of bootable devices includes your hard drive.

Check both "legacy" mode and "secure boot" mode.

3. Did you try to boot Windows from a DVD, and then invoke the Repair or Recovery options, or are you trying to boot from the hard drive, to access those functions?

4. Getting Time /Date error at  times [pun intended?] is a symptom of a failing BIOS battery.

5. Yes, Windows will boot when the clock on the motherboard is wildly incorerct.

6. After disabling Secure Boot and Enabling Legacy, check the list of bootable devices -- the hard-drive must be a member of that list.

7. It is good that all the Hard Drive tests pass and are displayed correctly in  BIOS. 

8. After 4.5 years, spending $2 to replace the CMOS battery should be done.

9. If it will not even start to boot, then it is probable that the operating system is undamaged -- it is just the BIOS SETTINGS that are causing your symptoms.

10. Agreed. Issue with CMOS battery that $2 may resolve, and may allow the motherboard to "retain" the BIOS SETTINGS that you are changing or that you are "defaulting" to.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mdklassen wrote:

@JAMES4578 wrote:

1. I'm getting secure Boot Violation error, 

2. Operating system not detected On Hard drive for few days now. 

3. I've gone through Repair and recovery options but  nothing seem to work. 

4. Prior to that for a little while was getting Time /Date error at  times and had to sort that out

5. though did Boot to windows.

6. I've tried disabling Secure Boot and Enabling Legacy but makes no difference either way,  also set the Default option in BIOS.   

7. I've completed all the Hard Drive tests but these all pass and displayed correctly in  BIOS. 

8. This is an All in One Pc, 4.5 years old now, though  I do also have  a  more modern PC.   

9. know  operating system may well be corrupted though,

10. possibly issue with CMOS battery. 

1. If the CMOS battery is failed, then the BIOS SETTINGS may have changed.

If you installed Windows with "secure boot" disabled, and now it is enabled, you get the "violation".

If you installed Windows with "secure boot" enabled, you must boot with that option enabled.

I have tried with both Secure Boot Enabled /Disabled and same with Legacy Setting.

2. Enter BIOS SETUP, and check that the list of bootable devices includes your hard drive.

Check both "legacy" mode and "secure boot" mode.

Yes done so, Bootable Devices includes Hard Drive

3. Did you try to boot Windows from a DVD, and then invoke the Repair or Recovery options, or are you trying to boot from the hard drive, to access those functions?

Have tried   from Hard Drive and also   Recovery Flash Drive (one created myself), Flash Drive recognised but stuck in loop- do not get any furthert  than  setting KeyBoard Language. Did not have DVD with this PC,though know possible to  order Recovery  Disc.

4. Getting Time /Date error at  times [pun intended?] is a symptom of a failing BIOS battery.

Yes thought may well be case- not best pun but how it goes :Wink:

5. Yes, Windows will boot when the clock on the motherboard is wildly incorerct.

After Secure Boot Violation, message also appearing stating to Install Operating System on Hard Drive.

6. After disabling Secure Boot and Enabling Legacy, check the list of bootable devices -- the hard-drive must be a member of that list.

Yes , Hard drive member of List  ,    at this point says PC must be repaired  and then on recovery option  states Invalid Signature.

7. It is good that all the Hard Drive tests pass and are displayed correctly in  BIOS. 

Yes, indeed.

8. After 4.5 years, spending $2 to replace the CMOS battery should be done.

Ok

9. If it will not even start to boot, then it is probable that the operating system is undamaged -- it is just the BIOS SETTINGS that are causing your symptoms.

Oh, right

10. Agreed. Issue with CMOS battery that $2 may resolve, and may allow the motherboard to "retain" the BIOS SETTINGS that you are changing or that you are "defaulting" to.

Thanks, yes best idea  initally may be to replace CMOS battery and see if problem solved.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Thanks for your response  Dean!

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation