Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update BIOS from DOS command line?

Hello, I have a Pavilion with a Asus M2N68-LA, I'm trying to flash the bios with a Asus .Rom file since HP doesn't have and BIOS updates that work within windows 7 64 bit. Is this possible to do?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I would approach this with extreme caution, and want a very good reason to do it.

But I believe it is achievable, but will not give any instructions because if it not an automatic Asus option then I do not know how you would recover from a failure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,988 9,984 938 2,734
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Flashing a motherboard BIOS from DOS is quite doable for those older motherboards if you have the correct BIOS and DOS flasher.  One of the problems will be that HP has several iterations of the M2N68-LA motherboard and using the wrong BIOS file could cause problems to the point that the motherboard quits functioning.

The way the post is worded could also be interpreted that the user is planning on using a retail Asus BIOS from a motherboard that is similar to the M2N68-LA.  That is a bad idea.  While Asus does/may make the moterboard for HP, most of the time HP will have special hardware on the motherboard that is not the same as the retail board and using a retail BIOS would not be compatable with that special added/changed hardware on the OEM motherboard.

On old hardware of the era that the M2N68-LA comes from, there are no newer BIOS files from HP because there was no more need.  Please give the model number of the PC that this motherboard came from for specfic help on this matter.

BTW: the newest iteration of the motherboard is this

• Pegatron M2N68-LA
  • HP/Compaq name: Narra6-GL6

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation