Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Update to BIOS for PC that won't boot into Windows 10

SG3-350UK
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My SG3-350UK will not boot (following a Windows 10 update a few weeks ago). I see the Compaq screen at start up, and then some circling white dots (and sometimes a basic Windows logo), but after that it just hangs leaving me with a small blue circle going round and round on a black screen.

I have spent a lot of time talking to Microsoft about how to resolve the issue (my priority is to recover some documents that my son failed to back up adequately). Microsoft talked me through how to create an ISO image file on a USB stick so I could boot from that. However, we hit a snag because the faulty PC's BIOS does not list USB as an option for boot up (although the USB stick I am using does appear as a connected device).

Microsoft have now advised me to contact HP/Compaq to get a BIOS upgrade for my PC that will recognize the USB as an option for boot up. Can anyone advise how I can get a suitable BIOS upgrade and how I can apply it to my PC? The Compaq start up screen currently shows v6.01 in the bottom right hand corner.

I have been hunting on the HP support site for an update to my BIOS but can't find one. When I type my product name into the search it tells me "no software updates available". The PC is 2010 manufacture.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,547 22,490 2,058 4,911
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RichardRPC

I sure wish Microsoft would stop dishing out this BIOS-Update-Miracle-Cure garbage.

According to the HP product page for your PC, it did not come with Win10 preinstalled -- and HP only makes BIOS upgrades for the OS versions that come preinstalled on their PCs.

Additionally, HP makes their BIOS upgrade OS-version-specific, meaning the PC must be running the same version of Windows as the BIOS upgrade.  Thus, you can not run, for example, a BIOS upgrade designed for Windows 7 or 8x in Windows 10.

This means there is no BIOS upgrade you can download from HP for your PC.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Can bios be downgraded somehow?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> My SG3-350UK will not boot (following a Windows 10 update a few weeks ago). I see the Compaq screen at start up, and then some circling white dots (and sometimes a basic Windows logo), but after that it just hangs leaving me with a small blue circle going round and round on a black screen.

This indicates:

1. The current BIOS is working, at least well-enough to allow Windows to start booting;
  2. Windows is in the process of booting.

So, any BIOS update will not affect #1, above.  Nor, will it affect #2, above.

> I have spent a lot of time talking to Microsoft about how to resolve the issue (my priority is to recover some documents that my son failed to back up adequately).

Remove the disk-drive from his computer.

Connect the disk-drive as a "secondary" disk-drive in your computer.

Even though Windows will not successfully boot, it's quite possible that you can access his documents, and copy them to your primary disk-drive.

Hint: if your computer has a CD/DVD device, disconnect the power/data cables from the back of the device, and connect those cables to his disk-drive.  When you have copied his documents, shutdown, and disconnect his disk-drive. Reconnect your CD/DVD device, and reboot. Then, you can "burn" his documents to DVD-recordable media.

> Microsoft talked me through how to create an ISO image file on a USB stick so I could boot from that.

If you still have the ISO file on your computer, "burn" the ISO to DVD-writeable media.

Then, you should be able to boot his computer from that DVD, and choose the "repair" option.

Or choose the "advanced repair" option, to get a command-line prompt.

Then, via the command-line, you can copy his files onto a USB memory-stick.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation