• post a message
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,661
Message 11 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Poduska wrote:

> What is to stop it from applying the update later?

A previous post to this thread:

I found some information, where people and Windows confirm the same problem: 

Windows confirm a security update is the reason for the unbootable-state issue -->

https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/12/14/windows-10-kb4054517-build-16299-125-not-installing/ (January 10.2018) 

A lot of people have the same problem:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2017/12/14/windows-10-kb4054517-build-16299-125-not-installing/ (December 14.2017)

Those two hyperlinks are to the SAME document.  Sigh.

Windows 7 owners got the same prblem --> 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-update/stop-0x000000c4-after-installing-... (January 5.2018) 

That document has been updated, to state:

UPDATE: 2018-01-09

It's been four days and Microsoft has knowledged this is an bug and blocked the update for older AMD systems. 

See Microsoft's official response here: 

Windows operating system security update block for some AMD based devices

Note: I unhid the update to see if it was blocked.

After running "Check for updates", it is no longer showing up as a pending update for me.

To answer your question, Microsoft has blocked your computer from receiving that update for your computer with AMD-based graphics adapter.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 12 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well finally crashed and WOW no restore points were found!!!!

I had to utilize the option in Advanced to restore machine Windows 10 but Save personal infomation. 

It worked, saved my docs, photos, downloads etc if saved properly. 

No Bookmarks, favorites or anything saved in AppData folders. All installed programs gone but it is running. 

It leaves a shortcut to an HTML file it made showing all the applications which were uninstalled such as EVERYTHING HP had on the PC.  which was handy to know what is no longer there. 

Well we will see how long it lasts. Machine shipped with Win 7 so perhaps there were drivers etc from HP which were incompatable with Windoze 10. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,661
Message 13 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> Machine shipped with Win 7 so perhaps there were drivers etc from HP which were incompatible with Windows 10. 

Perhaps, maybe.

But, in my opinion, not likely at all, especially given that your computer probably worked fine with Windows 10 for many months, up to January 13th.

Anyway, it's "too late" now to try to determine "why" the symptoms appeared.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 14 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Poduska

Is your solution still working well? 

I tried to do a system restore by following this guy's tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyMWcs008QA

But it didn't work. I tried to do a system recovery of the date 01.01.2018. But the pc restarts and starts to update to 30%. and after that it's display:

"Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored"

"System restore is initialising"

And nothing happens... 

How to do a System restore in Safe Mode on Microsoft Windows 10, 8, or 8.1 desktop, laptop notebook computer while in operating system or at start up. I will...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
6 6 0 1
Message 15 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
My machine finally stopped giving me restore points so I used the option to reinstall Windows 10 and save personal information.

This took a long time but worked. I then had to go to HP and down load the update tool they have, reinstall video drivers from HP.

Be aware that iTunes will not reinstall on my machine. May be different for you.

It works all except I tunes.

The reinstall leaves a file on desktop showing the programs which are now gone and it is very useful.

Good luck
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 16 of 16
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Me too, stuck in 23% of update whole night. How know how to fix it please let me know.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation