Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Z420 shuts down during w10 boot

HP Z420 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Z420 goes through initial bios steps ok, but when entering the w10 start, the system just quietly shuts off. When re-starting immediately, the system then starts ok. I've kind of noticed that if during the initial start that will end up in shutting down, the fan is very quiet. If that is running full blast from the beginning, then the boot will go through ok. Could the power supplly be defective? 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Yes indeed the PSU could be defective.

I would open W10 and check if the Fast Start Up check box is clear...

PWR and LID.png

That is for a Laptop, but the bottom part applies equally to Desktops.

It may help.

When the CPU starts up it takes an initial surge of current, mostly this is covered by capacitors on the Main Board and never becomes a problem.

You seem to have either a PSU low on power, and/or a failing mainboard capacitor.

So if the PSU can be swapped out with a known good one then that is a good first step.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The PSU is indeed what I've been thinking about as well and yes, the caps on the motherboard would have the same effect. However, the computer passes the bios startup without any problems and even the W10 boot runs for a while, till the dots runs in a circle and so - and then the system shuts down. Is the OS starting the attached systems components at the same time or do they come on one by one? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not have much luck w/Win 10 on the Z420. Didn't play well at all.

My fan does the same thing intermittently when turned on then slows down, works fine after boot. Running Win 7 with no problems, an older 560 gtx runs everything I have at ultra. I formatted the drive that came with it and the HP system locked the formatted drive and never gave me a clue so now I cannot get into it.

So don't do that. I threw my old drives in. I wouldn't worry about the fan spinning up, but if you plan on heavier graphics you are going to need to squeeze another fan in there. gl

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation