Level 2
9 5 1 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

h8-1227 - Enabled "Secure Boot" to try something and I think I'm in deep doodoo

HP Recommended
h8-1227
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Soooooo - I was trying to figure out what I needed to in order to boot from a USB drive and for some reason that led to my brain deciding that I needed to enable legacy mode and secure boot, which i did.

Immediately upon doing that I restarted the computer in order to try and boot from the flash drive when I was presented with:

6 Amber Flashes

6 Long Beeps corresponding with those flashes.

Now the one post I came across stated that this forces the bios to go back and use the original hardware that the system loaded with, so I thought I could subvert that issue by popping back in the Radeon card that, thankfully, I recently recovered. There's no on-board video card at all, and I removed everything plugged in when I tried to boot.

Tried to boot again and still no dice. Same problems. Can't even get to the bios, it just sits with all the lights on like it's working fine, mocking me.

I'm trying currently to reset the BIOS by removing the power and battery, but I don't know if that'll solve the problem. I'm so mad at myself for making those changes, but I was so certain that it wouldn't screw me over. Boy was I wrong.

Is there something, anything, else I can do to unscrew up this situation or did I just brick my PC?

Sigh. Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
andsoitgoes
Author
Level 2
9 5 1 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm ready to cry. I waited the 15 minutes with the battery out of the bios, made sure EVERYTHING including my wireless keyboard dongle was detached, even the stupid speakers I disconnected. 

Made sure I had the STOCK Radeon card in, connected fine - Still not a **bleep** thing. Same stupid beeps. Same stupid frustration. 

ARGH.

0 Kudos
andsoitgoes
Author
Level 2
9 5 1 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I swear I wonder how I put my pants on in the morning.

I wasn't resetting the CMOS, I was messing with the wrong bloody jumpers.

Found the CMOS reset jumpers off to the left, under the tail end of the video card.

Reset the CMOS that way

problem solved

Stupid guy here signing out.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation