Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i installed a new graphics card my computer won`t boot

hp pavilion hpe h8-1050
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

i have an hp pavilion hpe model h8-1050 the computer boots and works fine when monitor is connected to motherboard  but when i installed a gtx 550Ti graphics card the computer would not boot it either wont post or gets stuck on logo so i looked up the issue found 2 things first it talked about the boot security option i did look that up no luck cause i don`t have that option in my bios, 2nd thing i found many blogs about that this pc is compatible with my card but still no posting i switched the power supply taught maybe not enough power no luck there either so if you can help that would be much appreciated  i checked this build with both win 10 and win 7 none worked with the card. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Your PC, as you have discovered, has a Legacy BIOS. Boot security was introduced by HP in late 2012 or early 2013. The 550 should initialize when connected to a Legacy BIOS motherboard.

The factory power supply was a 460 watt product. The GTX 550ti requires a minimum 400 watt power supply.

You were good there.

The 550 requires one supplemental six pin PCIe power connection. Did you connect this power cable to the graphics card?

This (supplemental power supply connection to the graphics card) could be the problem.

There is no other reason I can think of (unless the 550 is defective) as to why the card will not initialize at POST.

Tom

Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation