Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

p6540f USB Flash Drive not an option in BIOS

p6540f
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am absolutely not techie at all, so please explain things like you would to a 4 yr old!   LOL    I also apologize if my terms aren't the best!    🙂 

Our screen is stuck on "Choose your keyboard layout".    I created a USB flashdrive from our laptop to reboot with Windows 10 from it.

I followed the instructions here 

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-upgrade-stuck-choose-keyboard-layout-screen

When I get to the last step, I get a failure notice.   So, after reading different articles, I decided that I should go into BIOS and make the USB drive the priorty boot.     There's no option for a USB drive.    I think we've had this desktop since 2010 or so.   Is it possible to make it add a USB?    

Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,043
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

p6540f USB Flash Drive not an option in BIOS

Hi,

Many of the older PCs will not support booting from a USB flash drive.  If you are trying to boot up Windows installation media then do it from CD or DVD+R SL. Be sure that the image download that matches the W10 version that you are digitally registered to use from MS.

Use a native USB mouse and native USB keyboard that will work without a hub.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation