Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

random computer freeze

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Slimline 400-434
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

From the time I bought this computer, it would randomly lock-up. I took it back to the store - the assumption was the operating system and the warranty did not cover that. As of 9/23/17, the computer had locked up 47 times!!!

For the first time, in 2 years, 8 months, I received some kind of troubleshooting message board. So, I thought I would see what I could make it do for me.

I followed the instructions for lock-up and tried to run the HP System Diagnostic Test. Unfortunately, the selections are in another language.

What do I do??

Also, when I turned the computer on to use it (not diagnosis), it updated for a good 10 minutes. Updating what, I don't know, and don't know if that is usual or unusual. I cannot remember the last time there were any updates from HP.

2 REPLIES 2
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 488 954
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @hikerpat,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing an issue with your computer freezing randomly, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Request you refer to this HP Article for assistance in running a system test on your computer. 

Though the UEFI is in a different language, there is an option to change the language.

Selecting the System Tests from the main menu

Click on the language button and change it to English.

If you are unable to change the language of UEFI, you can uninstall UEFI from programs and features.

Install it back by downloading it from this link

For assistance in resolving computer freezing issues, please try the steps suggested in this Guided Troubleshooter

Let me know how it goes.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
hikerpat
Author
Level 1
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your efforts, Chimney_83

To change the language, one must be able to read the foreign languages listed. The only way I could have chosen English, is from your screen shot, showing English second to last.

I ran at least 3 of those programs, taking  7-8 hours for them to run. Nothing amiss was found.

BUT, "October 16, 2017, Monday @ ~ 2:45p.m., froze up for 48th time".

Since this is a random occurrance, it is not possible to determine when next it will happen. Obviously, there is a problem; there has been a problem since purchase; there will continue to be a problem.

I would never recommend a HP harddrive to anyone! Neither will my next harddrive be an HP!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation