Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've recently installed a 120gb SSD, and cloned my HDD to my new SSD. My problem is the BIOS/UEFI for the HP Omen Desktops is very minimal to say the least. I cannot figure out how to set my SSD as the primary boot device. I've went to the BIOS and selected boot order, but it doesnt display my different drives, just the options to boot from HDD, CD/ROM etc. The SSD does show up under Device Configuration aswell as the HDD, The SSD is Above the HDD on the Device Configuration tab. But i see no option anywhere to select my SSD as the primary boot device.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Shealy2k.

I didn't mention that my drives were recognized in the Device Configuration, but not in the Boot Order section of the BIOS, also.  I can't explain why this happens.  At this point, I am not certain what you can do with the exception of a Recovery.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Shealy2k, welcome to the forum.

I just recently went through the same ordeal with my Omen X.  It had a M.2 SSD installed when I got it and I installed a EVO 840 as what I thought would be a second drive.  When I cloned the M.2 to the EVO it automatically booted to the EVO.  In the process my M.2 was no longer available.  I finally had to disconnect all drives (USB and otherwise) and do a System Recovery using the Recovery media that I made when I got the Omen.  It worked!  Now, I installed the EVO and it appears as I thought it would in the beginning.  This may be what you will have to do.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

That seems like so much of a hassle when most BIOS' have the option to manually select your boot drive whether it be a HDD/SSD/USB etc.. why is there no simple option in our BIOS for this?

HP Recommended

Also my HDD is still being recognized, so im not sure our problems are the same. 

Both my drives are recoginized in BIOS, and in the OS. The problem im having is selecting my SSD to be the primary boot device.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Shealy2k.

I didn't mention that my drives were recognized in the Device Configuration, but not in the Boot Order section of the BIOS, also.  I can't explain why this happens.  At this point, I am not certain what you can do with the exception of a Recovery.

HP Recommended
So take out the HDD do a clean install on the SSD, and then reinstall the HDD after? Gosh that is such a pain. Sure wish we had a better set of options for the bios. Guess i’ll Have to bite the bullet! Thanks for the info!
HP Recommended

I was able to get the Bracket out. I don't think it is necessary, so I don't plan on putting it back in. I assume HP puts that there for shipping, since I'm sure the PC boxes get tossed around a bit in transit. 

I did get the SSD installed. Now I just have to figure out why my boot order changes are not sticking after my Bios changes, but I will start a separate thread for that. 

Thanks for the help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.