Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP DC7900 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently replaced a DC7100 CMT (running Windows XP) with a DC7900 CMT (running Windows 7 64). I had installed a Soundblaster Audio card and a Gigabyte 8600 GT (Silent Pipe) in the 7100, they worked fine. I installed the Soundblaster card in the 7900 no problems. However installing the 8600 card results in no boot/black screen and after around 15 seconds the fans kick in hard until it is switched off.
Have tried using both PCI slots, no difference.
I have some basic knowlege but not much more.

The card is fairly low wattage (around 40 watts) and worked fine with the lower wattage PSU in the 7100.

Any ideas
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Jagowilliam, welcome to the forum.

I have reviewed the specs of the workstation and the video card.  The only possible discrepency that I can find is, the specs for the card state that the card was developed for Win XP and Vista.  They don't mention Win 7.  I have never seen this cause a problem in the past, but nothing else stands out as a problem.  I suggest that you contact Gigabytes Tech Support to see if they can help you.  They are the experts on their products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply, I had wondered about OS compatability though not heard of any problems with that card and Windows 7and the computer does not get as far as the OS, it doesnt even get to the HP f10 intro page, just black.
May try to borrow a different card to see if it is a problem with the motherboard.
Thanks

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Jagowilliam.

Trying a different card is a good idea.  Make certain that you are using the PCI Express x 16 slot on the motherboard.  Good luck!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.