Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm thinking to purchase HP Elitedesk 800 G2 SFF PC and would like to purchase separate SSD for this PC.

The main reason to configure SSD as main drive and SATA as secondary drive.

Kindly advice if this possible or any SSD model suggestions for this desktop PC.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry, my mistake - somehow this 'laptop' word appeared, but I meant desktop...

So, the manual is for a desktop PC and furthermore - it's about the exact model you've listed, so you can easily follow the guide in there and add a SSD of your choice. 

Just a small advoce though, since you're going with a dual storage configuration - for a clean OS installation it is highly recommended to connect the SSD only first, install the OS and once it's successfully installed to plug in the HDD and partition and format it in Disk Management though in order to avoid any possible confusion during the process - for instance, sometimes the System Reserved Partition can go on the secondary HDD instead if both drives are connected. If you want, you can follow these steps:

• Connect only the SSD during the installation.
  • Plug your installation media - CD or USB - and boot. *Watch your initial boot POST (Power ON Self Test), enter into the BIOS.
  • Set boot media (USB or CD) as the default boot disk device. Save and reboot.
  • When Windows Setup begins and asks for a disc select the SSD, then make a clean installation.
  • When the OS installation is complete, shut down your computer and connect the HDD with the data/power cables and power up.
  • Go in Disk Management and check if it appears. If it does then partition and format it, or in case you want to keep the mass storage data simply assign a drive letter to the HDD.
  • Go in BIOS and make sure that the boot order is correct so you can be sure that the system will bootup from the SSD.

Cheers! 🙂

Official WD Representative.
Please, Kudo me and choose as Answer if this post helped you! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @mkj1983!

You can add a SSD to the laptop and configure it as a boot drive since you have multiple SATA ports available. Once the SSD is connected and the OS is installed simply go in BIOS and setup the boot priority list so the machine can boot up from the correct drive.

As for the procedure in particular, you can take a look at the manual and page 31 and the next:

http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04832374-1.pdf

For a specific drive, you can take a look at WD Blue SSD its tiered caching technology utilizing SLC and TLC flash technology so the drive can reach up to 545MB/s and 525MB/s sequential read and write speeds with endurance up to 400 TBW. Here's a link if you decide to check it out:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=1cxpUy

Hope this helps and best of luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks but this is not laptop and the model you suggest is it for laptop or desktop ?

HP Recommended

Sorry, my mistake - somehow this 'laptop' word appeared, but I meant desktop...

So, the manual is for a desktop PC and furthermore - it's about the exact model you've listed, so you can easily follow the guide in there and add a SSD of your choice. 

Just a small advoce though, since you're going with a dual storage configuration - for a clean OS installation it is highly recommended to connect the SSD only first, install the OS and once it's successfully installed to plug in the HDD and partition and format it in Disk Management though in order to avoid any possible confusion during the process - for instance, sometimes the System Reserved Partition can go on the secondary HDD instead if both drives are connected. If you want, you can follow these steps:

• Connect only the SSD during the installation.
  • Plug your installation media - CD or USB - and boot. *Watch your initial boot POST (Power ON Self Test), enter into the BIOS.
  • Set boot media (USB or CD) as the default boot disk device. Save and reboot.
  • When Windows Setup begins and asks for a disc select the SSD, then make a clean installation.
  • When the OS installation is complete, shut down your computer and connect the HDD with the data/power cables and power up.
  • Go in Disk Management and check if it appears. If it does then partition and format it, or in case you want to keep the mass storage data simply assign a drive letter to the HDD.
  • Go in BIOS and make sure that the boot order is correct so you can be sure that the system will bootup from the SSD.

Cheers! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.