Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-124
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer is only two months old.  Screen will lock up and show multi-colored pixels on entire screen.  At times, screen will just freeze.  Can't use keyboard commands or mouse to restart the computer, so I am forced to use computer on/off button to reboot.

Installed a new graphic card on the motherboard and diabled the on-board graphic card in device manager.  Computer screen is still freezing.

Are there setting in the bios that have to be disabled also so the new video card will work?

Could this be some other hardware issue other than the graphics card?

Called HP support, but was not helpful.

Any help would be appreciated.

loucille

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

The service manual is of no help either.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717139

I can tell you that if one of the wireless antenna leads is disconnected, the end will look something like this...

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi:

I see that your PC came with W10 from the factory.

Did you first go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot before installing your new graphics card?

If not, you need to.

Starting with W8, you have to change those BIOS settings when adding a non-HP video card.

Please see this guide for more info.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  That seems to have helped, however, now my display settings appears that I have two monitors.  I'm guessing that it is picking up both video cards even though I have disabled the Intel that is installed on the motherboard.  Should I go ahead and completely uninstall that graphic card in my device manager?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Something isn't right because according to the product specs for your PC, when you add a video card, the onboard graphics adapter is supposed to be automatically disabled.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-750-100-Desktop-PC-series/8499646/model/8819429/document...

If the intel graphics adapter is still showing up under the display adapters device manager category, yes I would right click on it select uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

HP Recommended

Yes, I agree.  I have decided that I got a lemon when I purchased this computer.  I did go into the bio and make the security changes as the link you sent advised.  As stated, the computer acts like I have two monitors attached even with the onboard Intel disabled.

Now it won't stay connected to the internet with the onboard intel wireless lan.  I removed the video card I installed and reset bios back to the original security settings.  It hasn't helped.  

I can connect to the internet, but when connected get 6.0 mbps instead of the 24 I am paying for.  ATT couldn't help, says its the computer not the network.  The connection is intermitant - goes off and on.  I will be on the computer - then it will drop and say that network changes have been made - even though they haven't.

I know there is nothing you can do about this.  I have ATT coming this evening, but if they decide it is the computer instead of my ATT equipment - then they will charge me $149 for coming out.

Just asking if the Intell wireless lan and the video card are integrated in any way.  Wasn't having trouble with internet until I made the changes in bios and reconnected the new video card.  Everything is back to the way the computer arrived, but didn't fix the internet problem.

Any advise short of booting this thing to the street!

Thanks again for your time!

loucille

HP Recommended

Wow...what a mess!

The graphics and wireless problems should not be related to each other.

They are separate components.

You didn't happen to knock off one of those delicate wireless antennas from a terminal when you were removing and replacing the video card, did you? 

If one of the antennas got disconnected from either the wireless card, or the other end they connect to, that would be a likely cause of the wireless problem.

If the antennas are connected, then the only other suggestion I can offer would be to try the latest W10 driver for the Intel 3165 wireless card your PC has...

First one at the top on the left side of the page is for 64 bit.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26465/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

The spes for the PC show it is quite a nice machine, so I hope you can get it fixed.

HP Recommended

That may be it.  There are three or four very thin wires running in that area.  One was loose, but I thought it was just a ground wire.  Is there any place in the specs that would tell me where it connects.  What a mess!

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I have no idea.

The service manual is of no help either.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717139

I can tell you that if one of the wireless antenna leads is disconnected, the end will look something like this...

HP Recommended

Found it and you were right!  Internet back in business.

Now if I can beat the video problem into submission, I'll be happy!

Thank you again for your help!!!  Ten times better than the two people from HP tech support that took up three hours of my time with no results!

You've been great!!!

loucille

HP Recommended

Anytime, Loucille.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Hopefully, you'll be able to get the video issue resolved.

You can try installing the video card, and only changing the BIOS settings in that link I posted, and no other ones.

Just watch out for those doggone wires!  :Wink:

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.