Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix 860-009na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi new here, this is actually two questions but the first one is more important, first I am currently running an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti and I do alot of GPU rendering and I am thinking of upgrading the card, can the HP ENVY Phoenix 860-009na run and fit the latest NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti card or the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti if so would I need anything extra?
And second, can I fit two NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti cards

Would appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Question 2: Can I fit 2 cards

Sorry, no you cannot have more than one card. There is only one slot on your motherboard that supports a video card.

Question 1: Can I use a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti  card?

You say you are currently using a GeForce GTX 980 Ti. The default power supply for that PC is 300 watts. The few 980s cards I looked at suggested no less than a 600 watt power supply. Hopfully you have already upgraded that. If you have not, then you really, really, really should consider it.

You should be able to use a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti if you have a compatible power supply. The 2080s I looked at have a 650 watt power requirement for the power supply. Make sure you have the right power connectors from the power supply for the back of the video card.  And of course, check that you have enough space length-wise to fit it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Question 2: Can I fit 2 cards

Sorry, no you cannot have more than one card. There is only one slot on your motherboard that supports a video card.

Question 1: Can I use a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti  card?

You say you are currently using a GeForce GTX 980 Ti. The default power supply for that PC is 300 watts. The few 980s cards I looked at suggested no less than a 600 watt power supply. Hopfully you have already upgraded that. If you have not, then you really, really, really should consider it.

You should be able to use a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti if you have a compatible power supply. The 2080s I looked at have a 650 watt power requirement for the power supply. Make sure you have the right power connectors from the power supply for the back of the video card.  And of course, check that you have enough space length-wise to fit it.

HP Recommended

compare the total watts used by the systems current 980TI card (250 watts), and then compare with another card, if the wattage is lower or no more than 5 watts more than the 980's draw you should be able to use a newer card, as long as the lenght of the new card fits in your current case the 280TI draws 250 watts, and as such can be used with the systems current supply,..... however you can not run dual video cards

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04901097

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980-ti/specifications

last all of the above information was found on the HP and nvidia web sites in under 40 seconds,

in the future perhaps you can try looking for the specs and you might find what your looking for and not have to post a request and wait for a reply

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.