Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 30 L GT13
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, im struggling adding the Harddrive ...F2 and testing it worked for the first one ...thing is i have 2 x 5tb Disk but im a bit confused with the 2 Omen slots  one has no power cable avail ( i asume the smaller of the 2 you attach to the HD is Power )

is it only possible to add one extra SATA HD ?

thanks for your help !

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@39Hudson -- for any SATA device (CD/DVD/HDD/SSD) you need to connect both "power" and "data" cables.

The "power" connector is much wider than the "data" connector.

Does your motherboard have an empty socket to accept the "data" cable?

Does the power-supply have an available "SATA-power" connector on one of the "tails" ?

HP Recommended

hi

@39Hudson 

you do not give your computer model
but see this, it might help you, photos and videos

Re: Adding Second drive to Omen 25L desktop GT12-0050na - HP Support Community - 8137737

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

thanks - ok i have 2 long connectors but only one smaller one...i successfuly installed now one 5tb hd but looks like the otherone despite the space i cant connect fully.

i guess i get an external case for it...

HP Recommended

thanks its a OMEN 30L GT13

alot of good info in your link thanks for that...i successful installed one 5tb drive in the upper free slot but looks like for the second i miss a empty data cable ...i asume i maxed it out and go with an external case for the second 5tb drive.

HP Recommended

@39Hudson wrote:

thanks its a OMEN 30L GT13

it will not change much but

[start]
This is an automatic response
in order to avoid writing the same thing each time
for a desktop computer

HP Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? | HP® Customer Support
Give the full name with the product number P / N

this is not a model:
HP Desktop M01-F1xxx
the requested product number must look like this
Product Number: 9EE50AA # ABA
the model corresponding to this number will therefore be
HP Desktop - M01-F1033wb

but yes indeed, you certainly need to buy a cable if you do not have others available.
please mark the answer, it may help other users

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@39Hudson -- is this an image of your computer's motherboard:

HP OMEN 25L GT12-0045na Dorado Motherboard mATX Micro ATX L96319-001 L96319-601 | eBay

I see one socket for an NVME SSD memory-stick, but I see only two SATA sockets.

One SATA socket probably is your CD/DVD device.

Presumably, one of your 5TB SSDs is connected to the other SATA socket.

Consider disconnecting the CD/DVD from that SATA socket, and connecting your 2nd 5TB SSD to the now-empty socket. This will give maximum performance for both of your 5TB SSDs.

If you need a CD/DVD, consider an external unit, that connects via one of the USB 3.2 sockets.

HP Recommended

nope...is without cd or dvd drive...

OMEN 30L GT13-1959nz Desktop PC - HP Store Schweiz

www.hp.com/ch-de/shop/product.aspx?id=47N55EA&opt=UUZ&sel=DTP

• Intel® Core™ i9-11900K (3,5 GHz Basisfrequenz, bis zu 5,3 GHz mit Intel® Turbo Boost-Technologie, 16 MB L3-Cache, 8 Kerne)
  • HyperX® 64 GB DDR4-3200 MHz XMP RGB RAM (4 x 16 GB)
  • WD Black PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD-Laufwerk, 2 TB
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3090 (24 GB GDDR6X dediziert)

it also says 2 3.5 inch drives avail whcih is true for space but only one has the smaller data cable.

looks like they forgott one as there are 2 slots, 2 power but only 1 data cable 

HP Recommended

sorry, @itsmyname  the user has not confirmed the model of his pc, it is just mentioned
OMEN 30 L GT13
but why gave you an ebay photo of the model already shown in the given link, now @itsmyname ..

model given for example, but may not be the same

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Adding-Second-drive-to-Omen-25L...

motherboard specifications, Dorado

hp does not give an image and the number of connectors here

the idea of sacrificing a dvd player is not bad in itself
but if it is to be obliged to buy one
the price of a cable may be worth it

[edit]

@39Hudson  sorry I was writing at the same time, I just saw your answer

good luck I leave you, I think that said all, right?

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@39Hudson -- is without cd or dvd drive

In your case, that is good, since not having a CD/DVD device does not consume one of the two SATA sockets on the motherboard.  This leaves two sockets for your two 5TB devices.

Connecting a SSD to an "internal" SATA socket gives better performance than if the SSD was connected to any external USB 3.2 socket. 

Note that an SSD has no moving parts. So, you can place it anywhere inside your computer where there is space for it, and where it can get power from the power-supply.  Try to place it to not block air-flows.

Or, there do exist "two-level" metal trays, to allow one SSD to be "stacked" on top of another SSD, and the tray will fill one 3.5-inch drive-bay. Very inexpensive!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.