Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
870-210
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Omen 870-210

Upgrading my CPU soon wanted to know how I should go upon removing the heatsink like what kind of tool just some tips because the hp heatsink is different compared to the Intel heatsink if you have any videos or anything that could help it would be much appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Your MB has an Intel processor.

You should have a fan/heatsink combo which is either: screwed, or secured using a retention lever, to a MB backplate.

Please send a clear screenshot of the setup.

No special tools should be required other than a screw driver.

You may have to remove the fan first to access the heatsink mount points. Don't forget to disconnect/reconnect fan power cable from/to the MB fan connection before and after replacing the processor.

I could not find a video but the following description is the official HP service procedure. You will need a torx bit to remove the heatsink.

Pull the AC power plug. Depress and hold down the power switch to drain residual power from the MB. Work in a static free environment or (recommended) use an anti static; wrist strap or mat, when working inside the chassis.

Heat sink.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

Your MB has an Intel processor.

You should have a fan/heatsink combo which is either: screwed, or secured using a retention lever, to a MB backplate.

Please send a clear screenshot of the setup.

No special tools should be required other than a screw driver.

You may have to remove the fan first to access the heatsink mount points. Don't forget to disconnect/reconnect fan power cable from/to the MB fan connection before and after replacing the processor.

I could not find a video but the following description is the official HP service procedure. You will need a torx bit to remove the heatsink.

Pull the AC power plug. Depress and hold down the power switch to drain residual power from the MB. Work in a static free environment or (recommended) use an anti static; wrist strap or mat, when working inside the chassis.

Heat sink.PNG

HP Recommended

Sorry for not replying weirdest thing I opened up the cause turns out its a lga1150 with a i3-7100 but what I have read online is that the 7100 is a 1151, not a 1150 anyways thanks for the help I'm just going to get a new motherboard and case and move away from the hp limitations.

HP Recommended

Hi

You're welcome.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.