Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P6230y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Have original HP -P6230y desktop from 2009, updated to 16GB memory. Still using the onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics. We want to do some photogammetry  and most programs require a GPU with a Nvidia GPU card with Compute Capability of at least 2.0 with CUDA capability. We tried a Zotac GT630 Zone edition 2GB 64 bit card and the motherboard does not recognize it.  There is no bios update for the motherboard. 

We realize that an older legacy  Nvidia card will probably be needed do not want to replace the 300 watt power supply in the computer.  Lower end Nvidia GPU card can be used without out bigger supplies. 

So who can recommend (or have verified) a GPU that will work in this older computer.

Here is a link from Nvidias website that lists GPUs that have a compute value 2 or above.  We tried a GT Gforce 630 and it did not work.   On the website click on the CUDA-Enabled GeForce and TITAN Products to see the list.

https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

Thanks

jjs3rd914

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

That card should work OK if it is put in a riser and you keep your original card in the X16 slot. Not sure what slots are available on your system, but I was finally able to get a gtx-1060 to work in a 1x => 16x riser on an HP Pro3400 motherboard.  If you have 4x or 8x slots there are hard adapters can can be used between the card and the socket but you would need a low profile card or the lid might not close.

Long discussion is here  Note that one photo I have the comment "gtx 1060 does not work" but I did get it work later as I simply could not be in the X16 slot which had to be occupied by a non-UEFI bios video board.

I am guessing at 1050ti might work in a risers and has CUDA 6.1 but also power requirements  but does not need a power cable.  Not sure if a low profile is available at a reasonable price.  An RX-560 is shown below.  It does OpenCl but not CUDA unfortunately.

rx560-rises.jpg

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

The P6230y has one 

• 1 PCI x16 slot for graphics card

to be used for a graphics card.  The GT Gforce 630 card I tried fits as its that format, but is not recognized. 

I am not sure what a riser is.  

Thanks for the reply. 

HP Recommended

You replied before I had edited my post to show pictures of different risers

I think this is like your motherboard.  You would have to keep your original board in the x16 slot and add a 1x riser with a USB3 cable to connect to your new NVidia card.  You wont know if it works until you try it.  Also, your power supply might not be big enough for two cards but any good supplemental power adapter with 4 pin molex (5v and 12v and 75 watts) could be used to power the socket the board is in.

The riser did work for me in my HP Pro 3400 and was the only way to get my 1060 to work.

HP Recommended

What app are you wanting to use that needs CUDA?  If Adobe Premier be aware they are switching from CUDA to something proprietary that Apple is supporting.

HP Recommended

Again thanks for the replies.  To clarify, the expansion slot is empty as I am still using the onboard video.  So I just plugged the GT630 into the slot.  I am using windows 7 pro, the bios does allow the selection of the onboard video or the PCI-16 slot. I disabled the onboard video using the device manager, set the bios to the PCI-slot, and rebooted the PC,  with the card installed and a vga cable connected to the monitor. Nothing from the car, but I do still get a video from the onboard graphics of course with reduced resolution via a DVI cable.  The onboard video allows for DVI or VGA and my monitor has both inputs, so I can switch back and forth. 

Upon booting the according to the Zotac instructions, Window should detect new hardware, and allow the Zotac drivers to be installed. But nothing coming from the Zotac card, and I still get video from the onboard card. I do feel the Zotac card getting warm however.

The various photogammetry software I want to use such as Meshroom require the CUDA capability to help the processing.

Thanks

jjs3rd914

HP Recommended

As a follow up.  Is it possible that the Zotac card requires more power than is available, so it wont accept it by the motherboard.  So if I understand, I could get a "riser" and a external power supply booster and plug the Zotac card into the riser.  Does this make any sense. Sorry for ignorance on this as I am trying to learn and understand the terminology. I never played with these before.

Thanks

jjs3rd914

HP Recommended

Computer from 2009

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c01859871
probably no uefi exit recent cards,

In theory only old graphics cards
AMD Radeon HD 6xxx cards, or a Nvidia GT (X) 6xx card
can be used
on condition of having the required power supply for the chosen model

so well the case
No more update, available, obviously because too old
In theory  the card could work if the required power supply is sufficient.
you do not say if buy new, seems unlikely to me?
A non-functional graphics card is possible

[edit]

Should be checked for other models
no time to research, but for example
little possibility here, but (same motherboard obviously)

power 300 Watt

Must select one of the following options:
  • Integrated Graphics (Radeon HD4200)
  • GeForce G210
  • Radeon HD4350
  • Radeon HD4650
  • GeForce GT220
  • GeForce GT230
  • Radeon HD5450 (1 GB)

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-p6300-desktop-pc-series/4079858/document/c01996842

While waiting for more precision of information, if it is well this motherboard, the processor is not in the list of compatibility

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03343058

Processor upgrade information
  • Socket type: FM2
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    Trinity Dual-Core A4-5300
    65 W
    Trinity Dual-Core A6-5400K
    65 W
    Trinity Quad-Core A8-5500
    65 W
    Trinity Quad-Core A8-5600K
    100 W
    Trinity Quad-Core A10-5700
    65 W
    Trinity Quad-Core A10-5800K
    100 W
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The Zotac GT630 I have that does not seem to be recognized, was bought new years ago for another computer and was never installed. Yes it could be bad, but it was never used,  

I have been all over the HP web site looking for info on compatible cards,

I need a card that has CUDA 2 or greater. Honestly I really don't know what that means, but that is the requirement.  A local computer store has a used GTX 460, or GTX 550, both with 1GB of memory for $50 as is.  They are dated around 2010-2012 whereas the the Zotac was newer from 2014 or so.  SO would one of these be worth a shot?  Both seem to be double wide and I'm not sure they will fit.  Also look like they need a power plug in which I do not have as my PS is just 300 watts and no special connectors, but I assume pigtails are available if 300 watts is enough for wither of these.

Is it possible to buy a riser which provides an external add on board and also use and add on external power supply? Again Im fuzzy on all of this.  I just want a card that will at least allow me to play with the software, albeit slowly.

Thanks

jjs3rd914

HP Recommended

As stated in theory, some graphics cards, provided the power supply is correct, may work.
But with this type of motherboard there is always an unknown factor
I don't have much time to search, I looked at several HP pages, a little google search, and not found much
What it would take is research, with your motherboard model, and see if you can find any user examples, who have installed a graphics card with that motherboard model, and even power supply box, it can be long!
The easiest way, to go to a professional, if he has the equipment to test, it's all good!
For the last question if you are talking about a box with graphics card, and power supply, (generally for laptop computers)
given the price, better to change computer, if you want something suitable

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.