Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Workstation xw6200
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Hello... I've got an old HP xw6200 desktop computer with Windows Vista installed and 3 sticks of RAM memory, each having 1 GB. Problem is... it uses only 2 GBs out of those 3... and that's because having 3 sticks of RAM is not a valid configuration. It works only with 1, 2 (1 pair) or 4 (2 pairs) - the 3rd one is seen by the BIOS and the OS, but is not used.

So... I decided to buy another stick... an (apparently) identical one. When I insert it and turn it on, I hear 5 beeps and the system is not working or booting. The one from the lower part of the image (the 'IBM' labeled one) is what works... so it's one of those that are installed in 3 pieces. The one from above is what I bought and wished to provide as an upgrade. Apparently, the only difference is the 'eco' label. The machine simply rejects it... 5 beeps and no boot. I tried leaving it with two of the good ones and the BIOS and OS both see it but, as in the previous case, it isn't used.

So my question is... is it a suitable RAM module and should have worked with those other three (but is defect/broken or something like that) or it isn't compatible with this computer at all? I also cannot find any RAM settings in the BIOS.

Thank you!

SNC08057-9.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, mixing memory modules that are not exactly alike rarely works.

The modules need to be:

Of identical manufacturer, capacity, bandwidth, and type ( 1-sided or 2-sided) and in the proper slots.

A smart way to upgrade is to purchase from a memory manufacturer that guarantees compatibility with your desktop PC. I suggest Crucial.com as a good source for these. The downside in your case is that PC is old.The memory is no manufactured by Crucial.

Take a look at the search I did for upgrade memory for your workstation in the following link.

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hp+workstation+xw6200+me...

Look in the PC's Maintenence & service guide to see which memory modules are supposed to be used. You may be able to find them second hand. 

The RAM settings are not in the BIOS of a non-enthusiast PC's BIOS. 

The primary and secondary  memory timing settings are in a coded file in the BIOS provided by the PC's manufacturer, in this case, HP.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.