mcpheterd
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Performance issue on desktop 22-b020

HP Recommended
22-b020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a desktop for Xmas 2016 and have always had performance issues and wanted the forums feedback on whether if I added memory it would significantly improve, system takes 5 sec+ on any program select or closing, frequently locks up and I just force shut down.  It is windows 10 64bit, only has 4GB RAM, processor is Intel J3710

has touch screen and purpose was a kitchen PC for quick internet browsing or game for grandkids(drawing not high graphics) and some streaming music.  I have tried all performance/tuning/windows updates to no avail.

Can someone advise if this is memory issue or is processor not sufficient to handle windows 10 and touch?
If I upgrade memory what is size recommendation?

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
KrazyToad
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
20,921 20,908 1,272 1,297
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mcpheterd

Welcome to HP Forums. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

I understand that your computer keeps freezing and is slow.

I'd like to help

Your computer can support up to a max of 8GB Memory Ram

You can refer to your Computer Specifications Here

I suggest you run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality.

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests

If all the Test pass, I would request you back up your data and perform a System Recovery to Factory Settings.

- Turn off the computer.Disconnect all connected devices and cables such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes.
- Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key about once every second until the Choose an option screen is displayed, and then continue.
- On the Choose an Option screen, click Troubleshoot.
- On the Troubleshoot screen, click Recovery Manager.
- Under Help, click System Recovery.
- When Recovery Manager prompts you to back up your files, select a backup option:
- The Welcome to HP Recovery Manager screen is displayed. Read the on-screen information, and then disconnect any connected devices and cables, such as Personal Media Drives, USB drives, printers, and faxes.
- Remove media from internal drives, and remove any recently added internal hardware.
- Click Next to continue.
- When recovery preparation is complete, click Continue to proceed to the installation phase of the recovery process. The computer restarts several times during the recovery. This is normal. Do not close, shut down, or disconnect the computer while HP Recovery runs.
- Recovery Manager reformats the Windows partition and reinstalls the original software.
- After the system recovery is complete, click Finish to restart the computer. Complete the setup screens and wait until the computer finishes the setup.
- Once the setup is complete, turn off the computer, reconnect all devices and cables, and then turn on the computer.
- Before using the computer, update and protect your computer by reinstalling any virus and security software that was installed before the system recovery.
- Reinstall any software programs that were added after purchasing the computer, as well as any files that were backed up.

Keep me posted how it goes.

Thank you 🙂

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. I purchased a desktop for Xmas 2016

2. have always had performance issues

3. wanted the forums feedback on whether if I added memory it would significantly improve,

4. system takes 5 sec+ on any program select or closing, frequently locks up and I just force shut down. 

5. It is windows 10 64bit, only has 4GB RAM, processor is Intel J3710 has touch screen

6. purpose was a kitchen PC for quick internet browsing or game for grandkids (drawing not high graphics) and some streaming music. 

7. I have tried all performance/tuning/windows updates to no avail.

8. Can someone advise if this is memory issue or is processor not sufficient to handle windows 10 and touch?

9. If I upgrade memory what is size recommendation?Thanks in advance

Your computer: HP All-in-One - 22-b020t (Touch) PC Product Specifications

Product Number:  V9A80AA

Release Date: 27-May-2016

Intel Pentium J3710 (Braswell-D)
  • CPU speed: 1.6 GHz (2.64 GHz) - max turbo boost)
  • CPU cores: 4

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR3L SODIMM (204-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC3L-12800 (DDR3L-1600)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR3L SODIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems

This system is slightly slow for those tasks that only use 1 out of the 4 cores.

> 1. I purchased a desktop for Xmas 2016

That is "new-enough" to give good performance.

It was manufactured over a year after Windows 10 was released.

> 2. have always had performance issues

Measure, measure, measure.

Start with the "Performance" tab of the Windows Task Manager.

What percentage of each resource is being used?

Near the bottom of this tab, click "Resource Monitor".

This latter program can "drill-down" to see which tasks are using the most CPU, which tasks are doing most Input/Output, and the percentage-busy for the disk-drive.

Hint: click on a column-heading to sort the rows into descending order, to show the "busiest" tasks at the top of the rows.

> 3. wanted the forum's feedback on whether if I added memory, it would significantly improve,

It depends.  Task Manager, in #2 above, will tell you how much RAM is used, and how much is "unallocated".

If your sub-compact automobile gets you to Starbucks reasonably quicker, driving your Ferrari (your "other" automobile) won't get you there any faster.

> 4. system takes 5 sec+ on any program select or closing, frequently locks up and I just force shut down. 

A disk-drive in "imminent failure" status can take 100 to 1000 times the usual number of milli-seconds to do any Input/Output.

Google-search for "download free SPECCY".

Download, install, and run it.

Open the "Storage" branch.

Open the "SMART" branch.

[Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. ]

SMART collects "health" information for your disk-drive.

Is everything "good", or is some item "warning" or "bad" ?

> 5. It is windows 10 64bit, only has 4GB RAM ..

Microsoft recommends a minimum of 2GB RAM for 64-bit Windows 10.

Your "extra" 2GB of RAM should greatly help its performance.

> 6. purpose was a kitchen PC for quick internet browsing or game for grandkids (drawing not high graphics) and some streaming music. 

It should be perfect for those "light-duty" applications.

> 7. I have tried all performance/tuning/windows updates to no avail.

Tell us what you have tried.

> 8. Can someone advise if this is memory issue or is processor not sufficient to handle windows 10 and touch?

Probably not RAM-related.

Having 4 cores will compensate for the (perceived) "slowness" of each core.

Microsoft recommends a minimum of 1.0 GHz for the processor.  Your computer exceeds that minimum.

Doing "touch" is no different than moving/clicking a mouse.

> 9. If I upgrade memory what is size recommendation?

If the above measurements and observations indicate that 4GB is not enough, then "max" it out to two 4GB sticks.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
mcpheterd
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tried the hardware test and all passed so once I look at other options suggested will do recovery to factory settings, by the way I am HP retiree so appreciate your assistance as an employee

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> appreciate your assistance as an employee.

Thanks, but I have never been employed by HP.

Some HP employees do contribute here -- their ID is "marked" as being an HP employee.

This is a "user-to-user" forum, with volunteers trying to help other users of HP (and sometimes non-HP) computers.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation