Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today what I wastold by Samsung was the MOBO will not support 3.0X4 now I have talked to Samsung several times in the last week & at no time have I been told that.  Talking with HP last evening I finally got the person to ask the Tier 2 tech the question” if the MOBO would support 3.0X4 & they said yes”.  Today the Samsung tech told me that in the Samsung Magician program the interface shows PCle Gen. 2 X 4  so it wont run 3.0X4.

Now this was a comment (Below) that i got back from a forum question that would,  I say dispute what I got today from the Tech at Samsung.   Comment follows.

“Your PC actually supports both Sata 3 or PCle NVME drives as you can see from the specification page of a different model of your PC with the same Motherboard which comes with a 128GB PCle NVMe drive.”   The other pc is a HP 590.   https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c06010496  

Both the HP 590 & 690 use the exact same Mobo, both are identical except the HP 590 is only sold in Europe.   Now do I have to take it to a shop to get it to work, why won’t HP tell me what the problem is?  I can barely get any info out of them, they should know what this MB is capable of wouldn’t you think.  Just an fyi, I have a 5yr old ASUS MB and the manual for the MB has every detail about that Board, It guides me A to Z with words & pictures etc to get that board up and running.  

Below are the specs for both.

My PC HP Pavilion 690-0067c       Motherboard description:   HP name:     Sunflower    SSID: 8433

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-690-0000-pc-series/19769765/model/21858486/d...

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************                                                                                                                                    HP Pavilion 590-p0559ng Desktop PC   Motherboard description:    HP name: Sunflower     SSID: 8433

This Link shows the 590  sold with a 128GB  Pcle  NVMe M.2 SSD                                                                                                 https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c06010496                                       

The 590 comes with a   128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive                                                                                                                   Size: 128 GB      Interface: M.2           Type: Solid State

So should I just factory reset the Samsung M.2 & reload Win 10?   I have a disc I made for my old PC just before the deadline and it doesn’t have any serial # on it that  I know of.    If I can find the MS Win10 number on my HP I could make a copy for my flash drive to reload.  Just so I can see if I can get the Samsung to work correctly like 3.0X4 as it should.

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC
HP 27XW Monitor
HP Pavilion dv6t 3000 Select Edition Entertainment PC
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Don't have an inside track on how HP configures M.2 sockets.

I can tell you (from helping other folks in this forum) most HP consumer PCs only support PCIe NVME storage devices on the newer motherboards. And, HP throttles data throughput by limiting the device to PCIe 3.0x2 instead of PCIe 3.0x4. This means HP provides two PCIe lanes to the M.2 socket instead of four lanes.

The motherboard you have should support PCIe 3.0.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yes, unless they are supplying two different Mobo's SSID 8433 like model A and Model B which I cant see why.  Both the HP590 & my HP690 show the 8433 board installed.  Thanks for your help..  

HP 27XW Monitor
HP Recommended

Hi Rgh43-,

You're very welcome.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You don't have a BIOS problem.

You have a hardware chipset problem that can't be fixed with a BIOS update.

I see a x16 PCIe slot for a graphics card and a PCIe x1 slot for expansion.

You need a PCIe x4 or greater slot to do a M.2 adapter. You will have to use the x16 slot unless it is populated with a graphics card.

Regards

HP Recommended

Is there any way to download a fix or an update for the chipset problem to fix this.   This board has intergrated graphics AMD Radeon graphics with 4GB.      Both the X16 and the X1 are open, what would you use the x1 slot for?

HP Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Sunflower

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-690-0000-pc-series/19769765/model/21858486/d...  

If you go to the bottom of all the specs listed in the Link above and open the tab for Expansion Slots you see what I pasted below from that page.  Yet the picture of the Sunflower Motherboard show’s One PCle X1 slot and No X4 slot?  The picture shows one thing but the information listed below describing the board shows something else.  I still haven’t gotten HP to answer that question, why the discrepancy.

Expansion Slots

• One PCIe x16 slot
  • One PCIe x4 slot
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M

HP 27XW Monitor
HP Recommended

I can tell you (from helping other folks in this forum) most HP consumer PCs only support PCIe NVME storage devices on the newer motherboards. And, HP throttles data throughput by limiting the device to PCIe 3.0x2 instead of PCIe 3.0x4. This means HP provides two PCIe lanes to the M.2 socket instead of four lanes.

The motherboard you have should support PCIe 3.0.

To answer this question, Samsung's Magician Tool says the Interface is PCle Gen. 2 X 4 and when I test the performance benchmark my performance using this tool I get Write & Read speeds just over 1600 when I should be around 3000.  Now Samsung says I can check any drive with this tool so I might put the original Sata HD back in & check it speeds to compare. 

HP 27XW Monitor
HP Recommended

Hi,

Well then HP is providing four PCIe 2.0 lanes to the M.2 socket.

This is why the NVME SSD will not perform at the optimal speed.

HP would have to fix this. I don't understand why HP is using PCIe Gen 2 on a mainboard that supports PCIe 3.0.

Regards

HP Recommended

Well I have been at this for the last 2 or 3 weeks with no completion.  Does anyone have a number for HP Corp Headquarters or someone in the real Customer Service dept that might be able to answer the question?  I need them to tell me if this PC will operate my new SSD at the speed it is capable of.  Now if it hadn't been for the Forum members that have helped me I would still be on square 1.  Just got off the phone after about 1 1/2 hrs talking to many people as they transferred me around.  The last tech gave me a number and I called it and got the HP sales group whom I had been transferred from after being transferred to them some time ago. They sent me back to NO Tech support.  Tech supports idea of help is to tell me to call Samsung, Samsung didn’t make the Mobo, and HP did so they have the specs somewhere. Idiot time @ HP.  I worked for a major communications company on the West coast and we had up to Tier 4 support and we would never left a customer without a solution period.  HP does not seem to care and that is a new era with companies in the US now.  Now Samsung has been great and very helpful but again they did not make the Mobo, HP did. 

HP 27XW Monitor
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.