Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0023w

Hello all! I currently have a TG01-0023W desktop that has the Erica motherboard. I've upgraded just about every part you can (1TB NMVE SSD, added 2 extra drives, 32GB RAM, thinking about upgrading to the Ryzen 7 3700X, crammed a 120mm fan in side of the case). But while tinkering around, I noticed  4 pin connector on the motherboard that I can't quite identify and the interactive system board viewer file about the board does not list what it is either. Does anyone know what it is/for? I've circled it in the photo.

Basically the last MOD i want to do to this desktop (that I haven't seen anyone else do) is to add a slim DVD optical drive to the front of the case like on HP 690 series. The chassis has a removable punch out plate for it and the hard drive bracket has the slot on it to mount one. Obviously a hole will need to be cut into the front face plate of the tower for the drive to pop out. I have a SATA cable for the drive, but need the power connector for it. The HP 690's have a wire harness for theirs, but I'll have to tap into power else where for this MOD. That white connector in the photo has nothing connected to it which made me question what it's for. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Connector.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@COEO1st,

Here you go:

NonSequitur777_0-1699758762782.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@COEO1st , welcome to the Community.

Here is the "Interactive System Board Viewer".  If you scroll down to the 4th, 2 X View and look at Number 19 it shows SATA1/SATA2/HDD connector.  The connector that you want is a Hard Drive connector.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Number 19 (SATA1/SATA2/HDD) are the larger blue and white connector ports to the right of the 4 pin connector I circled in the photo. My attached photo is the 4th page from the "Interactive System Board Viewer".

HP Recommended

@COEO1st,

Here you go:

NonSequitur777_0-1699758762782.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

With great success, I have accomplished my goal of adding an internal DVD drive to my TG01! Thank you for your help @NonSequitur777. I ordered the cable you posted, the only problem was that the SATA connector was for a full size drive. I needed the slim version for my 9MM slim DVD drive. So I ordered a slim cable to SATA and spliced the white 4 pin connector to it for power. After some very careful measurements and the use of a laser etcher, I cut out a hole in the front bezel. Once it was all installed, I realized the drive sat behind the bezel. So with more measurements and my 3D printer, I made a face plate for the drive that matches the bezel and it all sits flush ‌😁... Please excuse the dust... it doesn't look that bad in person 🤣. ** Side note, that is replacement bezel because my 1st laser cut was not exactly accurate... I need to order a replacement Ryzen 5 decal**

20231201_224432.jpg

HP Recommended

@COEO1st,

Awesome!

Thank you for following up.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.