Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6742p Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have a old HP Pavilion a6742p desktop with Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100. I want to upgrade via PCI Graphics card and bypass the integrated graphics so that I can improve performance and edit Video footage I have saved . Any suggestion what spec I should look for. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@sanjoy_b , welcome to the forum.

You are very correct when you say you have an old computer.  It was released in 2008.  You will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU).  The one in the computer is only 250W.  The minimum required by newer video cards is 300W and this is actually low.  I normally recommend at least 400W.  Also, the newer video cards require UEFI in the mohterboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.

I suggest that you choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing a card that will work with your motherboard.  I like EVGA (1-888-880-3842).  They have always been very helpful.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sanjoy_b , welcome to the forum.

You are very correct when you say you have an old computer.  It was released in 2008.  You will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU).  The one in the computer is only 250W.  The minimum required by newer video cards is 300W and this is actually low.  I normally recommend at least 400W.  Also, the newer video cards require UEFI in the mohterboard instead of a standard/Legacy BIOS.  The last cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.

I suggest that you choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing a card that will work with your motherboard.  I like EVGA (1-888-880-3842).  They have always been very helpful.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks Old_Geekster 

I will research into and may decide whether or not  to pursue this option. Instead build a new desktop as I may need more horsepower for future 4k edit 

Best regards 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @sanjoy_b!

HP has a lot of great options for what you want to do.  For instance, I am using a loaner Omen 880-160se with a i7-9700K that overclocks to 5.2 GHz using Omen Command Center.  It has a GTX 1070 8 GB, 16 GB DRR4 2400 memory and a 512 GB SSD.  It is a very fast computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.