Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2310 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've attempted 3 times to upgrade from Windows 81. to Windows 10. It goes through all the steps and then says "Upgrade Failed." The PC has the requirements and I've updated drivers, etc. Any ideas of how to upgrade successfully? Thank you. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try clean installing W10 and activating the installation with the W8 product key in your PC's BIOS.

You can obtain the W8 OEM product key by downloading and running the free Showkey Plus app from the Microsoft Store.

ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store Apps

You enter the product key after W10 installs.

When you are asked to enter a product key during the installation process, select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Upgrading to W10 using the above method would require you to reinstall all of your programs and files.

Before trying to clean install W10, I recommend that you make a system image of your current W8.1 installation prior to updating to W10, so you can easily reinstall W8.1 if the clean install method doesn't work either.  I used the free Macrium Reflect software to do that, under the Backup at Home section. 

Along with the system image, make sure you create the bootable DVD or USB rescue drive you boot from to access the system image stored on your portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. This seems like a lot of hassle and I'm not sure it is worth it. Better to buy another computer.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I am facing the same situation with my wife's computer.

I want to upgrade it from W10 to W11 and keep all of her files and settings.

No matter what I try, it will not update.

I am fairly sure the clean install would work, but I don't look forward to reinstalling her programs and files.

I have until 2025 when W10 goes out of support to upgrade then or purchase a new PC.

If it was my computer, I would do the clean install in a heartbeat because I don't have many files or programs to reinstall.

HP Recommended

Right. If I did not have so much stuff on the PC, I'd do the clean install. Who knows if that would work!! Sorry to hear you're having a problem with your wife's. Can't believe Microsoft would not make it easy to upgrade from 10 to 11. I have until February '23 when support goes out on 8.1 There's no rush at this point. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.