Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elite 8300
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We are looking to get a (refurbished) HP Elite 8300 Core i5 to run  the CMS program of our CCTV system.

It is a 4 monitor system  so 2 VGA cards (2-Port PCI Serial Card)  need to be installed (1 card = 2x RS 232 output)

My question is; can the HP Elite 8300 support the 2 VGA cards?

The slots are there, however i dont know about the power supply etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How about elaborating on the following portion of a statement that you made.

"2 VGA cards (2-Port PCI Serial Card) "

That would seem to be a rather strange card.

Did you mean to say a PCIe card with two VGA ports instead?

They do exist, but finding one that will fit in a SFF PC may be dificult.

The PSU in the candidate SFF PC is ony 240W so it may require an upgrade.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

According to the specifications, most of the the HP Elite 8300 series desktop PCs have a multiple PCIe  interface for video expansion. 

There is also a single PCI slot in a couple of the HP Elite 8300 versions.

You have not stated which type of HP Elite 8300  that you are considering for the purchase.

There are convertible micro tower, Micro tower and small form factor (ultra slim) versions of the HP Elite 8300 desktop PC.

Here is the published specification for the Elite 8300 series

https://support.hp.com/bg-en/document/c03345460

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hello Provost  and thank you for the fast reply

We are looking at a HP Elite 8300 Core i5 3rd Generation / 4GB RAM / 500GB HDD / Windows 7 Pro (SFF) Desktop PC

IMG-20180419-WA0003.jpg8300.JPG

HP Recommended

How about elaborating on the following portion of a statement that you made.

"2 VGA cards (2-Port PCI Serial Card) "

That would seem to be a rather strange card.

Did you mean to say a PCIe card with two VGA ports instead?

They do exist, but finding one that will fit in a SFF PC may be dificult.

The PSU in the candidate SFF PC is ony 240W so it may require an upgrade.

HP Recommended

hello again Enrico

With the PSU only 240 watt I think it is better to look for another solution and a full tower

So back to the drawing board

Thank you for your advise

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.