Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2114 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install a graphics card and purchesed a gforce gt 630 and a gt730 and when installed it does not go past the hp logo with the hand 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi Qualls_0708,

Let's figure this out.

What processor is installed in your desktop, what BIOS version do you have (see 11th line of "System Information") and how much RAM?  -Btw, I read something interesting in HP's specs of your PC, quote: "Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.*"  I assume what happens is that you are getting a black screen when you install one of your GPU's, since your PC doesn't default to integrated graphics, correct?

Link *: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03421869

HP Recommended

hi

sorry @NonSequitur777 
@Qualls_0708  I can't explain why the 630 doesn't work.. Maybe bad , damaged
but for the other
you have a bios ver 7.xx

In theory only old graphics cards
AMD Radeon HD 6xxx cards, or a Nvidia GT (X) 6xx card
can be used
on condition of having the required power supply for the chosen model

IPISB-CU Motherboard BIOS Update

7.16 Rev. A2.9 MBFeb 6, 2012

Internal 300W (100V-240V)

So can try

NVIDIA GeForce GT 530

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2100-desktop-pc-series/5187028/document/c0325172...

AMD Radeon HD6570

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-p6-2000-desktop-pc-series/5151865/document/c0302478...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi Qualls_0708,

Upon further research, Prométhée is correct. Graphics cards beyond the GTX 660/670 series require UEFI instead of "Legacy" BIOS, and your BIOS cannot be upgraded to UEFI.

UserBenchMark [dot] com HP P6-2114 builds affirms this: the GTX 670 is the fastest GPU installed.

See link: https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/HP-p6-2114/43847

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

hi

indeed @NonSequitur777 

but be careful  

Internal 300W (100V-240V)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

should be min 400/450w somme more 500w

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Prométhée,

That is once again an excellent observation: according to NVIDIA (link: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/geforce-gtx-670/specifications/ ), they do recommend a 500 watt minimum PSU for the GTX 670.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I am going to explain @NonSequitur777 
If I take a while to answer, which often leads me to answer after the others
I spend a good time in research, in order to have the maximum of information, to find the links, options possibilities
Then I have to use my translator
When I answer, I make sure I know what I'm talking about, in order to avoid mistakes..
Except in special cases, I do not respond to a subject, without knowing as much as possible about it before, I analyze the situation in order to give the best possible option.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Bios version/date ami 7.19,4/2/2012

8gb of ram

I get a hp logo with the hand and it doesnt go past that 

The guy at the computer store got the same thing and told my it was bad and didnt try it in anything else to verify i do know the fan comes on on the gt630 he told me to get the gt730 and it should work but it didnt

HP Recommended

So he didn't test himself?
This graphics card is incompatible
You can either stop the costs, because the computer is no longer very recent, and use the ports of the motherboard, without using a graphics card
Or search for a compatible board as mentioned, paying attention to the power requirement
it would certainly be a used graphics card, so it's a lottery

•  3 DVI-D
  •  4 D-SUB port (VGA port)

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.