Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z 820
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hi all,

My HP Z 820 came to us as oem installed when We bought it .

it came with windows 7 professional 64 bit.

Now I want to upgrade to Win 10.. I did a little search , with windows 7 license we can still upgrade to Win 10 free.

Did anybody pass to Windows 10  like that in the community?.

I am planning to pass Win 10. But My Windows 7 pro licenne is oem installed.

Due to this , Do I face any license problem when I pass Win 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

A valid OEM product key will be fine. I build PCs and use OEM keys. Many of my OEM PCs have successfully upgraded to Windows 10. The upgrades were done over a year ago.

So the question is,... is Microsoft still granting W10 upgrades using W7 or W 8.1 products key now?

Check out this article by Ed Bott (Link).

The free upgrade was still happening late last year (October). It may still be possible to activate post installation.

Do you have the W7 Pro product key? You may need it after you do the Win 10 upgrade. W10 may grab the W7 product key and auto activate .

As always, back up data before proceeding.

You can always roll back to W7. But I would have a verified offline W7 OS image and bootable rescue media to be safe.

Regards

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Terekeme,

I don't believe the free upgrade is available anymore. You can, however, acquire an iso from the windows store and install it yourself.  However if you already have an iso  I would be happy to walk you through the process.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

A valid OEM product key will be fine. I build PCs and use OEM keys. Many of my OEM PCs have successfully upgraded to Windows 10. The upgrades were done over a year ago.

So the question is,... is Microsoft still granting W10 upgrades using W7 or W 8.1 products key now?

Check out this article by Ed Bott (Link).

The free upgrade was still happening late last year (October). It may still be possible to activate post installation.

Do you have the W7 Pro product key? You may need it after you do the Win 10 upgrade. W10 may grab the W7 product key and auto activate .

As always, back up data before proceeding.

You can always roll back to W7. But I would have a verified offline W7 OS image and bootable rescue media to be safe.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the quick Reply.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your advice..

HP Recommended

Hi Terekeme,

You're very welcome.

Is the W7 to W10 upgrade option still working?

I have not done any upgrades since last year.

Regards

HP Recommended

it is working, I have 2 HP Z 820 in my office,

I did upgrade one of them to Win 10 with using upgrade function.

there was Oem win 7 pro installed on it..

ı wrote it down its license details .

when I installed win 10. İt asked me to enter serials. then I wrote oem win 7 pro license details. and upgraded me to win 10..

to find oem win 7 pro license details, I used key finder program. it gives license details on Pc. you can try it ..

I did 2 week ago..

HP Recommended

it is working, I have 2 HP Z 820 in my office,

I did upgrade one of them to Win 10 with using upgrade function.

there was Oem win 7 pro installed on it..

ı wrote it down its license details .

when I installed win 10. İt asked me to enter serials. then I wrote oem win 7 pro license details. and upgraded me to win 10..

to find oem win 7 pro license details, I used key finder program. it gives license details on Pc. you can try it ..

I did 2 week ago..

HP Recommended

Hi Terekeme,

Thanks.

Regards

HP Recommended

Are there any tools you know of to assist with this type of upgrade when dealing with 100s of machines?

I have already confirmed with Microsoft that OEM upgrades are not supported using WSUS, so that option is not available to us.

Thanks in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.