Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 2 (167 Views)

upgrade graphics card

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, I have the HP8-1375EA with just the standard GT 640 which obviously came with the prebuilt desktop, i do alot of gaming on the computer and the graphics card is just holding it back massively so i definately need an upgrade but obviously have my concerns like will it fit in the box, is the power supply enough, and will the system even take it, the power supply is currently 460w, the graphics card im looking at upgrading to is the GTX 960 or 950 and both of them only take an additional 50w compared to the GT 640 which takes 350w so im not sure that will be a problem so my question really is will the system accept the new change or will it not even work? and the case is quite small so will it fit inside? im not too sure how big the 960 or 950's are so im not sure how much space ill be looking for when i open it up.

0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (134 Views)

Re: upgrade graphics card

Dcstoney, welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you need to determine is, does the motherboard have UEFI or a standard/Legacy BIOS.  If it has UEFI, the GTX 960 should work if it will fit.  You can check the space by measuring from the Back I/O plate to the front of the case.  This will allow you to check how long the card can be and if any of the other components will be in the way of the card.

We on the Forums always go by the manufacturer's recommended PSU wattage.  Since the PSU in the computer is 460W, it may work fine.  You can check the manufacturer's website to see the required wattage of the PSU.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen X; i7-6700K; 16 GB DDR4 2133; GTX 1070; 256 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!