Mojjo30
2 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Activating Windows after upgrade

hp pavillion 500-570na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all, so a few years ago my mother bought me a hp pavillion 500-570na desktops pc for christmas as i asked for a desktop.... for gaming.   Due to the PC having a 1GB Geforce 705, i decided to upgrade the graphics card, but to be able to do that i had to upgrade the motherboard also to a MSI Z97 g5 and a 1050ti 4GB, now, from what i think, my pc is techniqually a different PC due to the new motherboard.

Eversince i upgraded i have has a text on the bottom right reading " Activate Windows, Go to settings to activate windows"   since i bought the pc with windows pre installed i have no activation code, is there a way to get one withput buying one, or moving the windows from the old pc to this one.   i tried to move it by signing in on my self but it kept failing for no clear reason and telling me to try later.

Please help, Many thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Level 12
5,425 5,413 511 1,124
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

You have a new PC.

You have to purchase a new Windows product key.

Tom

0 Kudos
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,641
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> from what i think, my PC is technically a different PC due to the new motherboard.

Agreed, and it probably has a new CPU and new (integrated) network adapter.

The Windows Activation process counts "points" for changing components:

* 1 for changing RAM,

* 3 for changing network card,

* more than 1 for changing motherboard.

Accumulate "too many" points, and you have a "different" computer, as you have found out.

> Ever since I upgraded, I have a text on the bottom-left reading "Activate Windows, Go to setting to activate windows" .

> Since I bought the PC with Windows pre installed I have no activation code.

If you bought it with Windows 7 pre-installed, there should be a decal on the case, showing the 25-character product-key.

If you bought it with Windows 8 or 10 pre-installed, the product-key is electronically embedded in the motherboard.

So, if you still have the motherboard, and an empty work-table:

* put the motherboard onto the table,

* connect a keyboard & mouse & the original disk-drive & a monitor,

* connect a power-supply,

* find the two pins on the motherboard that previously connected to the on/off switch,

* quickly touch a screwdriver-tip to the two pins, to simulate pressing the on/off switch,

* hopefully, Windows will boot.

* open a command-line prompt, and enter:

wmic  path  SoftwareLicensingService  get  OA3xOriginalProductKey

to display the product-key.   Note: 'OA' and 'Or' are "oh", not "zero" characters.

* shutdown & power-off.

Now, you have the product-key, but when you clicked "I agree" when originally setting-up your computer, you agreed that you would use that product-key ONLY on the "original" computer, which, in your situation, no longer exists.

So, using that key is NOT legal.

> Is there a way to get one without buying one, 

Not legally, because you clicked "I agree" to the terms of the MIcrosoft Windows Licensing document.

Full disclosure: there is one Other Person on this forum who claims that he has successfully downloaded Windows 10, and entered his product-key taken from a Windows 8 computer, and that Windows 10 successfully installed and activated.  I think that what he claims to have done is NOT legal.

0 Kudos
Level 12
5,425 5,413 511 1,124
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

A new, different model, motherboard equals a new PC.

Microsoft will not provide activation in this case.

Carefully read this response from a Microsoft MVP Community moderator which explains you cannot move a Windows OEM product key or digital entitlement from an HP system to an Asus, or MSI, or Gigabyte, or Biostar, or Asrock branded motherboard. You can transfer a Retail product key to a different motherboard.

Now, carefully read this article, in it's entirety, by Windows expert Ed Bott. This loophole (free upgrade to Windows 10 using a valid Windows 7 or 8 product key) may have now closed.

I installed an unused OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro on a new PC build. Then upgraded Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro, no charge and legal. This was done at the beginning of January 2018. The Windows 10 installation is activated and has a digital license.

The assistive technologies free upgrade, referenced to in Ed Bott's article, is now gone.

Believe a Microsoft MVP or Ed Bott, a Windows expert, or rely or other sources. Your choice.

Tom

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation