Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 2 (128 Views)

Backup using HP recovery manager

Product Name: HP f202in
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Due to my hard drive failing, I can only use the recovery program by pressing f11 on boot up. In the backup section, I have a 1TB external hard drive attached, with ~500 gigs of free space, and my internal harddrive had around 750 GBs used.

So my question is, if I select all the backup options on the recovery manager, will the program wipe my external hard drive or will it compress the backup and make it fit in 500 GBs? I don't want my External HD to get wiped as it has a lot of family photos.
0 Kudos
Provost
Message 2 of 2 (105 Views)

Re: Backup using HP recovery manager

Akis1103

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, I've never used the HP backup app as I rely on a third-party app known as Macrium Reflect for all my backups -- and it is free: 

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

Using THIS app, you will be safe from overwriting the stuff on the drive because it will only create a new backup file, not overwrite or erase any existing files.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation