Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot device not found turned hard disk error

HP Pavilion 17-inch Displays
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I've had this laptop for a while and it was being quite problematic so I decided to purcahse new computer.  I've recently decided to retrieve my old device to see if I could fix the problem. I was initally given a boot device not found error and I have three system recovery DVDs that I purchased from the last time that I had an issue. I tried to reboot and restore the device from the disk but nothing seemed to work. When I treid to do a power reset to see if using the disks after would work I was given a hard disk error and prompted to select F2 to open system diagnostics. For some strange reason my computer won't allow this. I know it is not the keyboard beacuse if I press the esc button before it boots and from there press F1 I am provided with the basics about my computer. How do I go about fixing this? (My warranty has expired)

1 REPLY 1
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,632
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Boot device not found turned hard disk error

> I was initially given a boot device not found error ...

The motherboard queried the disk-drive, but the disk-drive, being quite "dead", did not respond.

It's gone from being "problematic" to "totally unresponsive".

Since you have the System Recovery Set, on DVDs, if you remove that disk-drive, and insert & connect a new (or even a "previously-owned" bargain-priced) disk-drive, you can reinstall Windows onto your computer, to revive it.

To compare, an automobile with a flat tire does not require the replacement of the entire automobile -- replace the tire, and your vehicle is back to normal.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation