Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
DESKTOP-1KPRBD7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When my computer did an update, it delete absolutely everything. Every download, picture, document, desktop item, all my internet preferences and bookmarks. EVERYTHING. Even when I fixed a few internet preferences and restarted again, it deleted them again. There is no backup or restore point. Can someone please tell me what is going on? This has never happened before. I have Avast Antivirus. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I commiserate with this terrible experience.

You may have done a clean installation of Windows 10. This will remove all bits on the HDD.

I have never seen a successful Windows 10 update do this. What version of Windows 10 are you using? Was this a security update, a cumulative update, or a feature update?

A system restart then proceeded to delete changes you made to the operating system subsequent to the initial loss of data.

Do you have data backups stored on external media?

Did you look in: File Explorer, Windows Old, your User Name, to check various folders for the data you think you have lost?

I have never before seen this happen.

I don't know how to solve your problem.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.