snowshed
Level 3
39 27 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Drivers needed for Pocket Media Drive PD5000x

HP Recommended
Pavillion Slimline s3650f

I'm trying to determine if a friend's Pocket Media Drive PD5000x has failed.

The product name is my computer, and I think is irrelevant for my question, which is:

Where can I find a list of available drivers for this drive?  I need to find out if there is a driver for Windows 7 and Windows 10.  My computer is Windows 7, and it was a used system I got free, and have never had a drive.  My firend's computer is an old Vista desktop that has been upgraded to Windows 7.

7 REPLIES 7
SomnisBedding
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It's a harddrive it should be Plug&Play

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
snowshed
Author
Level 3
39 27 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SomnisBedding wrote:

It's a harddrive it should be Plug&Play

You would think so, but apparently not.  I found posts referencing other models of the PMD, and they talked about HP releasing drivers for this OS and that OS.  The newest referenced driverr I read of, was about HP releasing a driver for Vista.  But, I've been unable to even locate any driver.  On HP's website, it says no software is available.  (You seem to find this for a lot of their older equipment, so I don't recommend HP products to anyone.  😞   )

If it was "just a hard drive", I think it should mount on any computer.  I have the external cable for it, and it powers up and spins on my Mac, one of my Windows 7 computers, and Windows 10.   Then, on the Windows computers, I get a message about the USB device not being recognized.  It does not appear in the Mac's Drive Utility.

Strangely, on the other Windows 7 computer, the drive does not even spin up, even when plugged into a powered USB hub.

I suspect it's just a 2.5" hard drive internally, but I'm not ready to possibly damage the case opening it up.  Then I could remove and test just the drive.  That assumes the drive has a standard connection inside.  I opened an external drive one time, only to find out it did not have a standard IDE or SATA connection.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,786 6,769 639 1,531
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I have a 2011, 500 GB, USB 2.0 Pocket Media Drive.

Used this drive in an HP PC and other PCs.

It still works today. Never had to install drivers.

Regards

snowshed
Author
Level 3
39 27 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

I have a 2011, 500 GB, USB 2.0 Pocket Media Drive.

Used this drive in an HP PC and other PCs.

It still works today. Never had to install drivers.

Regards

Is your pocket drive number the same as my friends?  If so, then it looks like I need to disassemble it after all.

Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,786 6,769 639 1,531
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi snowshed,

The product number for my Pocket Media drive is PD3200z. I thought it was a 500 GB drive but it is a 320 GB drive.

Windows (7, 8.1, and 10) immediately recognizes this device when connecting it to many different PCs.

It is connected to a fairly new W10 PC now (as I am typing) and is working very good.

Purchased the drive in June 2011.

Don't use it much anymore as it is really slow (USB 2.0).

I would think the PD5000x has failed if other USB devices work correctly when connected to your friend's PC. Have you tried using this drive in a different PC?

Regards

snowshed
Author
Level 3
39 27 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hi snowshed,

The product number for my Pocket Media drive is PD3200z. I thought it was a 500 GB drive but it is a 320 GB drive.

Windows (7, 8.1, and 10) immediately recognizes this device when connecting it to many different PCs.

It is connected to a fairly new W10 PC now (as I am typing) and is working very good.

I would think the PD5000x has failed if other USB devices work correctly when connected to your friend's PC. Have you tried using this drive in a different PC?

Regards

It's only a suspicion on my part, but I think the 4 digits in the model number is the size of the drive, much like Western Digital's numbering system.

I've now tried the drive on 6 computers, 4 Windows, 1 Mac, 1 LInux.  Unit powers up, but is not recoginzed, on 5 of the 6 computers.  On the sixth computer, a Windows 7 computer, it doesn't even power up.

I'm suspecting it's the PMD case itself that is the problem, in light of the reasonable constant USB device not recognized message.  I plan to disassemble and remove the drive from the case.  Stick the drive into a dock, see what happens.

snowshed
Author
Level 3
39 27 0 2
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@snowshed wrote:

@Grzwacz wrote:

Hi snowshed,

Regards

It's only a suspicion on my part, but I think the 4 digits in the model number is the size of the drive, much like Western Digital's numbering system.

I've now tried the drive on 6 computers, 4 Windows, 1 Mac, 1 LInux.  Unit powers up, but is not recoginzed, on 5 of the 6 computers.  On the sixth computer, a Windows 7 computer, it doesn't even power up.

I'm suspecting it's the PMD case itself that is the problem, in light of the reasonable constant USB device not recognized message.  I plan to disassemble and remove the drive from the case.  Stick the drive into a dock, see what happens.

I did go ahead and take the drive apart.  And didn't damage the case as much as I feared!  :generic:

To my surprise, it is the hard drive.  Put the drive in my dock, and Windows 7 said the drive needed to be formatted.  But the format failed immediately.  Same results making the attempt with Disk Management.

I checked the drive with Hard Disk Sentimel, lots of weak and bad sectors, and the "health" of the drive was just 50%.

That's the point where I called it quits.

But the case itself is still a question in my mind, as the Windows 7 computer I used is the one that would not spin up the PMD.

I'm waiting to hear from my friend as to where he wants to go.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation