Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6407c
Microsoft Windows Vista

How can I update my OS to Windows 7 from Vista? Are authentic software upgrade packages still available, and from where?

My machine specs fit Win7 requirements

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> How can I update my OS to Windows 7 from Vista?

How old is your computer, especially the disk-drive ?

Microsoft Windows Vista was released in April 2007, and Microsoft ended support for it in April 2017.

Microsoft Windows 7 was released in January 2010, and Microsoft will end support for it in January 2020.

This implies that your computer was manufactured between April 2007 and January 2010.

So, your disk-drive is between 7 and 10 years old.

If your automobile's tires were that old, they would be dried-out, cracking, and lacking tread -- essentially unsafe to use.

So, for this reason, I recommend that you shop for a new computer.

Or, if you are on a "budget", some "big-box" electronics stores sell "refurbished" computers for $100 to $200 USA, and they run Windows 10.

While your computer is still running, make a good "backup" of all your personal files, and "import" that backup into your replacement computer.

> Are authentic software upgrade packages still available, and from where?

Not from Microsoft -- they have removed "Windows 7 Upgrade" packages from the retail chain.

Maybe, a small "owner/operator" computer store has a "dusty" copy on their shelves ?

Maybe, you can find a seller on eBay, but you need to be very careful about what they are selling, to make sure that you get a "genuine" product.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

> How can I update my OS to Windows 7 from Vista?

How old is your computer, especially the disk-drive ?

Microsoft Windows Vista was released in April 2007, and Microsoft ended support for it in April 2017.

Microsoft Windows 7 was released in January 2010, and Microsoft will end support for it in January 2020.

This implies that your computer was manufactured between April 2007 and January 2010.

So, your disk-drive is between 7 and 10 years old.

If your automobile's tires were that old, they would be dried-out, cracking, and lacking tread -- essentially unsafe to use.

So, for this reason, I recommend that you shop for a new computer.

Or, if you are on a "budget", some "big-box" electronics stores sell "refurbished" computers for $100 to $200 USA, and they run Windows 10.

While your computer is still running, make a good "backup" of all your personal files, and "import" that backup into your replacement computer.

> Are authentic software upgrade packages still available, and from where?

Not from Microsoft -- they have removed "Windows 7 Upgrade" packages from the retail chain.

Maybe, a small "owner/operator" computer store has a "dusty" copy on their shelves ?

Maybe, you can find a seller on eBay, but you need to be very careful about what they are selling, to make sure that you get a "genuine" product.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the detailed reply. You confirmed my thoughts - my machine is not worth the effort and expense to upgrade, despite not having been used much over the last 8 years. Better to replace with a new, inexpensive Win10 machine.

HP Recommended

Welcome to this forum.

For each response that was helpful, click the purple/white "Thumbs-Up" icon, to thank that volunteer.

For the best response, please click "Accept As Solution", so that future readers of this thread can read the "answer".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.