cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Machine wont start. I did wrong. Stupid me.

HP Recommended
HP Compaq dc5700 Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows Vista

I accidently deleted 2 system files and the screen went blank. Before this I saw an error message

"\windows\system32\winload.exe  oxooooooe Not loaded or corrupt".

[edit]

I am 77 years of age and almost always alone so this machine was given to me to occupy myself. I play card games and read books on the Internet, primarily Bible based  and Westerns.

I really need your help.

I know I was stupid to do what I did, but I did it and now I really need help. It's the only way I can keep from going gaga.

Thank you for your consideration and help

SonnyChat. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
25,786 25,719 2,358 5,577
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SonnyChat

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

More recent versions of Windows come with a boot option that allows you do do minimal repairs, and those MIGHT be able to rebuild the file you deleted -- but from what I recall, Vista did not come with that.

What MIGHT work is creating a Rescue Disk using a program known as Macrium Reflect.

You would need the following to do this:

1) A working PC running Win7 or newer

2) The PC must have a CD or DVD burner

3) A blank CD or DVD

If you have those, then follow the directions in this thread up through step 09: https://www.lifewire.com/create-recovery-drive-all-versions-windows-2200650

Once you have Macrium Reflect installed, then jump to step 13, insert the blank CD or DVD, and follow the directions.

When you have finished creating the Rescue Disk, then boot your PC from it.  Be patient, it will take A WHILE for the rescue environment to load.

Once you get the Macrium Reflect screen, on the left side, there should be an option to repair the windows boot loader -- select that and follow the directions.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation