Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HPE-380t. # WS390AV#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I turn PC off I can not get it to restart so I normally put into sleep mode. However due to storm lost power so PC shut down. When I powered  back on I got the blue screen with logo & with choices of PF 10, PF 11, Esc, etc.   Clicking  on any of these does nothing and about a minute later the monitor goes to sleep. I have tried clicking on various buttons to no avail. 

I had this issue before and dread at age 75 lugging it to store for what is probably an easy fix. 

Any advice welcome. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Shut down your PC.

Restart the PC. Immediately tap "ESC"  to see if you can get to the Startup Menu.

Select Setup if you can. This will get you to the BIOS.

Select the "File " Menu.

Select 'Apply Defaults and Exit.

Alternatively, you could remove the side panel. Pull the CR2032 motherboard battery located near the second x16 slot on the motherboard. Follow the steps below before removing the MB battery.

Again, shut down. 

Disconnect from AC power.

Depress the power switch to drain residual power from the motherboard. Remove the CR2032 battery.

Motherboard Image:

Reset CMOS.PNG

Let the PC sit for about 20 minutes to reset CMOS. Reinstall the CR2032 battery.

You will have to have a local PC Tech take a look if you cannot get to the BIOS or reset CMOS.

Regards

HP Recommended

I tried the first suggestion bit clicking on escape did not work. Will try 2nd suggestion tomorrow when I get energy to get up and down off floor!  Thanks for quick reply. 

HP Recommended

Hi Bluerock1,

You're very welcome.

You may have a hardware problem caused by the power outage if your PC cannot Power On Self Test, enter the BIOS, or load Windows after resetting CMOS. Try to get to the BIOS again after resetting CMOS.

No BIOS access after resetting CMOS means you have a hardware problem.

A reputable local PC tech should be able to find the problem. The problem could range from a blown out PSU to the motherboard (MB) or any component connected to the MB.

Your PC is about eight years old. Keep this mind when the PC tech provides an estimate to repair your PC.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.