Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-n097sa Notebook PC

This new-to-me used laptop goes into sleep mode (hibernation is turned off; wake timers turned off; keyboard and touchpad configured to wake computer from sleep; fast start up turned off) so that the power button remains lit and the light on the wifi key is yellow when I leave it on for a time. Then it won't wake up - I've tried using touchpad, hitting a key, and pressing the power button. I have to hold down the power button to shut down and then press it to start up again. I've reset the computer with a fresh install of Windows 10 22H2. The drivers for the keyboard and mouse are basic.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Chris20241,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It seems like you've already taken some troubleshooting steps, but the issue persists. Here are a few additional suggestions you can try.

Check Power Settings:

• Go to "Control Panel" > "Power Options."
  • Select your current power plan and click on "Change plan settings."
  • Choose "Change advanced power settings."
  • Expand the "Sleep" section and make sure the "Sleep after" setting is set to a reasonable time.

Update Drivers:

• Ensure that all your drivers, especially those related to the motherboard, chipset, and graphics, are up to date. You can check the HP website for the latest drivers.

BIOS/UEFI Update:

• Check if there's a BIOS/UEFI update available for your laptop on the HP website. Sometimes firmware updates can address power-related issues.

Windows Updates:

• Make sure your Windows 10 installation is fully updated. Go to "Settings" > "Update & Security" > "Windows Update" and check for updates.

Check for Third-Party Software Interference:

• Some third-party software may interfere with the sleep/wake functionality. Try disabling unnecessary startup programs and services using the "Task Manager."

Event Viewer:

• Check the Windows Event Viewer for any error messages or warnings related to power or sleep issues. This might provide more insight into what's causing the problem.

Power Troubleshooter:

• Run the built-in Power Troubleshooter. Open "Settings," go to "Update & Security," then "Troubleshoot," and select "Additional troubleshooters." Find and run the "Power" troubleshooter.

Restore Power Plan Defaults:

• In the "Power Options" settings, you can also try restoring the power plan to its default settings.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be a hardware-related problem.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions, Alden. I had already done all of that and no change. It may be an issue with the latest update with Windows 10. I'll wait for them to remedy that and see if it fixes it. (Already did a reset.)

HP Recommended

Hi @Chris20241,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.