cancel
ShadowBox Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Power-up Problems requiring CMOS Reset, Battery Replacement and more?

HP Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My Z-820 Workstation is not powering up: 

• Press the Power Button
  • Green LED is lit as long as button is pushed
  • No blue light, No fans, No hard disk spin, No monitor, No boot.

If I pull the electric cable and try a hard reset, holding the power button down for 10-15 seconds:

• no change.

If I open the box and reset the CMOS by holding down the flash button for 30-seconds: 

• I re-attach the power cable and the Z-820 boots
  • A warning screen comes up about there being no saved configuration and the internal clock has been reset.
  • It also suggests changing the battery. 

I have changed the battery once, reset the internal clock, and no change. If the computer is off for more than five minutes, whether plugged-in or not, it will not boot. Unless I reset the CMOS. 

Am I forgetting to save a configuration in BiOS or something? 

I loathe having to remove all my RAM and peripherals again!

3 REPLIES 3
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 575 1626
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> If the computer is off for more than five minutes, whether plugged-in or not, it will not boot.

This could be an "overheating" problem, but in reverse, i.e., if the computer is running and "warm", it works fine.

But, if you turn it off, then after 5 minutes, it has "cooled", and you have difficulty restarting it.

Heat can cause "intermittent" connections to either work (as in your situation) or to not work.

So, it could be the power-supply, or the motherboard, that has the "intermittent" problem.

It's probably easier to try a different power-supply, than it is to find/connect a different motherboard.

0 Kudos
ShadowBox Top Student
Top Student
8 4 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. However, the workstation can run all day without overheating. You're suggesting the opposite is happening once it cools down the intermittent connection is lost. Hmmm. 

I have two additionally identical configured edit workstations, so I will try the power supply from one of those. 

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11043 11018 575 1626
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> However, the workstation can run all day without overheating. You're suggesting the opposite is happening once it cools down the intermittent connection is lost.

Yes, that is why I wrote "in reverse" -- when it is running, it is running -- heating-up, but not over-heating.

After it has been powered-down, and has cooled down, some connection "opens", and the computer fails.

Compare to raising a bridge to let a tall ship go through -- most of the time, people & cars can traverse the bridge.

But, when the bridge-master raises the span, it is the people & the cars that "lose their cool".  :Wink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation