Angelito1969
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

RecoveryMgr.exe-Application error

HP Recommended
hp envy 700-414
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I'm trying to do a full recovery on my computer and I only get the following error when I try to start the process "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x004afccb." When I purchased this computer a year and a half ago it upgaded itself to windows 10 64 bit and worked fine until it froze and crashed last week. I purchased the system recovery kit usb last monday in order to fix my computer but it's in Windows 8.1 64 bit. The only thing that I can do with the computer is check bios and memory test. When I do a hard drive check it tells me that Smart Check and short DST are not available. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
3 REPLIES 3
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,610 3,951
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Angelito1969

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand the recovery manager isn't working and the Smart Check DST isn't available,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you get this error message after completing the recovery using the recovery media or before it?

While you respond to that, I recommend you access the command prompt:

1. Turn on your computer and repeatedly press the Esc key until the Startup Menu opens.

2. Begin a System Recovery by pressing F11. If prompted, select your keyboard layout.

3. The Choose an option screen displays. Click Troubleshoot.

4. Click Advanced options.

5. Select Command Prompt to open the Command Prompt window. You might need to select your account and enter your password to continue.

6. After the command system prompt, enter the command for the safe mode option you want. Enter the information exactly.

And then type the following:

• Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER.
  • Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER.
  • Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER.

If the issue persists, run a hardware test using the HP Diagnostics tool: Click here for instructions.

And reply back with the 24 character failure code for further assistance.

(Short DST not available, usually represents a hard drive failure, however, it's best to confirm it by doing the above steps).

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Angelito1969
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I got the error after the blue hp symbol appears and the dotted circle screen goes off and on intermittently after 30 to 45 minutes each time that I try. I never get to see any other screen and only the exception comment appears. The DST comment occurs all the time whether I do the quick or the extensive check. Question, does the BOOTREC comments can be done on the bios or does it have to be through the unacessible system recovery program? Furthermore, your click here for instructions link don't work. Also, I don't have access the hp diagnostics tool i only have access to the diagnostic tools from the Bios which has the memory and the hard drive checks. I wonder if hp sent me a defective recovery kit usb drive. If so, I wasted $52.00
0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,610 3,951
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Angelito1969

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm not sure why the link didn't work for you as it seems to work just fine for me, perhaps, you could try a different browser?

That said, here's the link again: Click here for instructions.

Also, I understand the F11 recovery manager doesn't turn on and neither do you need it, to enter the Command prompt, however, if it isn't working, I recommend you Contact HP to have your hard drive repaired/replaced as this seems to be a hardware failure, considering none of the alternate methods of resolving the issue aren't working either.

The recovery media wouldn't work unless you have a working hard drive, I recommend you get the drive replaced before you conclude that you've wasted your time or money.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation