Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HonestAbe
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Running Microsoft Hyper-V on a Z240 workstation but kept having issue with hypervisor

HP Recommended
Z240 tower workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am running windows 10, 64bit on my HP Z240 workstation with 2 TB HDD and 16 Gb RAM.   I then enabled  the MS Hyper-V after enabling the BIOS virtual support options.

Starting the virtual machine gave me this error:
<vmachine> failed to start (virtual machine ID xxx)... Virtual machine 'vmachine' could not be started because the hypervisor is not running.  System information shows

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
  Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
  Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes
  Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

I intend to run a flavour of linux on this VM but could not start it to install the OS.  I must've missed something somewhere so I opted to use the default vm install of windows 10 dev environment. 

Still got the same issue.

Any idea where I've got wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
ys198884
Level 1
8 6 0 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After you enable Hyper-V, Windows should request a reboot for this change to take effect, as it's a change in core system behavoir.

Was the workstation rebooted? if yes, do you see an entry called 'vmms.exe' in Task Manager under details?

0 Kudos
HonestAbe
Author
Level 2
21 14 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi YS,

The PC rebooted and yes, vmms.exe is running

Thanks

Jun

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation