Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,686
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solution: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after Windows Update on 2018-Feb-13

HP Recommended
HP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

From Microsoft Knowledge Base: February 13, 2018—KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248)

After installing this update, some devices may fail to boot with INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE.

This issue occurs when the Windows Update servicing stack incorrectly skips installing the newer version of some critical drivers in the cumulative update, and uninstalls the currently active drivers during maintenance. 

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Workaround steps are available in KB4075150.

2 REPLIES 2
Isaac_J
Level 2
Level 2
8 8 1 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have seen this same error accour when the computer has faulty memory. I solved it by pulling half the memory from the machine and then retrying the boot until I identified the faulty stick. Once identified th pc booted fine.

I am an HP employee
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Author
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,686
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Isaac_J

Welcome to this forum.

It is encouraging to see a "flood" of HP employees joining this forum, and contributing.

Please use the "search" function on this forum, searching on 'INACCESSIBLE', and you'll find many posts on/after February 13, 2018, due to a Windows Update that caused the symptoms for many DELL and HP customers. 

On March 13, 2018, Microsoft issued an update to remediate the earlier update.

So, apply the "workaround", and immediately run Windows Update, to download & install that update.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation