Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System32 issues

HP Media Center PC m7350n
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I got a 2nd hand HP Media Center m7350n desktop pc and am having problems with the hard drive. the PC was horribly dirty and i unhooked everything to clean it. it took 4 days to clean it was so filthy on the inside, even the power source was caked in dust. there are 3 fans in the tower - 1 in power source (quiet), one on back of computer (quiet), one on motherboard (jet engine). I replaced the thermal paste -which was bought new but i think was sent old because it was like toothpaste not fluid- and it still runs loud but slightly less so. Ordering new thermal paste so hopefully it will fix the fan issue. Anyway.... i plugged in the monitor and it wasn't registering a VGA signal. Then I hooked the HP monitor up to my emachines tower and it worked perfect. So... i assumed the graphics card wasn't working. I looked in my emachines tower to see if i could simply swap the graphics card, but there is a black slot where i assume one goes but a graphics card isn't there?

Soldiering on, I removed both the HP tower's hard drive and the one from my emachines tower, then plugged the HP hard drive into the sata and power cords for the emachines tower. I managed to load the HP hard drive into the boot/safe mode menu (F8). I tried loading into recovery and repairing the hard drive - it said the PC Doctor on the computer wasn't issued with the computer and closed it out and it loaded back into the boot menu (F8) after restarting. I tried safemode with networking, safe mode with dos prompt, but it wouldn't load into anything but safe mode and i needed to get files from the previous user off there before i wiped the drive and installed a newer version of windows. i couldn't load with networking, so i couldn't log the pc onto my internet connection to update it from windows update if that would have even been possible. 

I did however, somehow, manage to load it into safe mode and found all the previous owner's files. i had gotten tired by that point since i had been working on it all day so i cleaned my desk, rehooked everything back where it was supposed to go in both computers (because once im done working the boyfriend gets on my emachines tower and uses it). By this point the thermal paste had been sitting there a while so i turned on the HP pc to see if the fan sounded any better. when i put the HP tower back together, i guess one of the wires wasn't all the way plugged in because once turned on it started making this horrible shrill beep beep beep beep beep sound that never ended till i held down the power button.  frustrated and exausted, eye twitching slightly, i went to bed.

However, the next morning when i went back to the HP tower, i hooked it up like usual to my emachine tower and it loaded into the F8 menu again. I attempted to load into safe mode like before, only now it said the C:\windows\system32\config\system file was missing or corrupt. i used MD TMP to try and move, rename, and restore it but now it says that the computer can't find the system32 files specified. and by that i mean "system", "software", "sam", "security" and "default". it now doesn't even list the "C:" anymore and says simply \windows\system32\config\system isnt there and "system cannot find file specified".

A friend had a Dell windows xp home edition and i figured i could copy the system files from there to the hard drive and at least get back into safe mode but the CD won't load. is it because it's a dell? i've been scouring the internet for 2 days and i can't find online where to download the system32 folder or files for XP since i dont have the original HP XP cd. My emachines was windows 7 upgraded to windows 10. Can i just copy the system32 files from my emachines hard drive and somehow load into the XP boot?

Stressed and twitchy,

midnightangel66

HP Media Center PC m7350nHP Media Center PC m7350nHP towerHP towerHP MonitorHP MonitorHP tower frontHP tower frontHP tower rearHP tower rearHP tower portsHP motherboard (before cleaning)HP motherboard (before cleaning)HP Power source (before cleaning)HP Power source (before cleaning)HP CPU fan (before cleaning)HP CPU fan (before cleaning)emachines tower hooked up to HP hard driveemachines tower hooked up to HP hard driveHP tower minus hard drive (after cleaning)HP tower minus hard drive (after cleaning)

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,654
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System32 issues

That's a lot of questions. :Crying:

> now it said the C:\windows\system32\config\system file was missing or corrupt.

This can usually be fixed:

* remove that disk-drive from the computer;

* connect it as a "secondary" disk-drive in a working computer;

* run the 'CHKDSK' command with the '/F' option, targeting that disk-drive, to "fix" any problems with the file-system;

* return the disk-drive to its original computer.

That should do it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 576 1,654
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

System32 issues

Your HP Media Center m7350n Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product number - EL406AA

Introduction date - 12-Dec-2005

Country/region sold in: US / Canada

Processor - Pentium-D 920 2.8 GHz

Video Graphics - GeForce 6200SE / 64 MB DDR memory / VGA, Composite, S-Video

Memory installed - two 1GB / PC2-3200

Memory maximum - four 1GB

> one [fan] on motherboard (jet engine).

When you power-on a computer, that fan runs at 100% -- lots of noise -- until the POST (Power On Self Test) measures the temperature of the motherboard & of the processor, determines that the temperatures are "low", and slows down the fan. If the POST does not complete, the fan stays at 100%, as you have observed.

> I replaced the thermal paste - which was bought new but i think was sent old because it was like toothpaste not fluid

It is "paste", i.e., viscous, not liquid.

> I plugged in the monitor and it wasn't registering a VGA signal.

If that POST never completes, then you won't get any video-output.

> Then I hooked the HP monitor up to my eMachines tower and it worked perfect.

Good.  There is nothing wrong with that monitor.

> I assumed the graphics card wasn't working.

I'm not sure that you made a correct assumption.

If the POST never completes, then the GeForce 6200SE will not be activated.

> I looked in my eMachines tower to see if i could simply swap the graphics card,

> but there is a black slot where i assume one goes, but a graphics card isn't there?

It's possible that its video-circuitry is integrated into the eMachines' motherboard.

> I removed both the HP tower's hard drive and the one from my emachines tower, then plugged the HP hard drive into the eMachines tower.

> I managed to load the HP hard drive into the boot/safe mode menu (F8).

> I tried safemode with networking, safe mode with dos prompt, but it wouldn't load into anything but safe mode.

Note that "Safe Mode" loads a minimal set of device-drivers -- not all the HP-specific device-drivers that are present on the HP disk-drive.  So, even though that copy of Windows was installed to run on a HP computer, it should run in "Safe Mode" on the eMachines computer.

> I needed to get files from the previous user off there ...

Take the eMachines tower, reconnect its own disk-drive, disconnect the power/data cables from the eMachines CD/DVD device, and connect those power/data cables to the HP disk-drive.  Boot the eMachines tower from the eMachines disk-drive, and the files on the "secondary" disk-drive (the HP disk-drive) should be accessible.

Copy the files into a folder onto the eMachines computer.

> before I wiped the drive and installed a newer version of windows.

Did you really need to extract those older files?

If not, you could have just "wiped" the disk-drive.

Given the '2005' vintage of the HP computer, what operating system will you install?

Windows 7 was released in 2010. 

Windows XP was released in 2001.

Maybe, install UBUNTU Linux -- it will work with 2GB of RAM, and your relatively-fast single-core Pentium CPU.

> I couldn't load with networking ...

Because the HP device-driver software for the HP network adapter does not work with the eMachines network adapter hardware.

> I turned on the HP pc to see if the fan sounded any better. when i put the HP tower back together, I guess one of the wires wasn't all the way plugged in because once turned on it started making this horrible shrill beep beep beep beep beep sound that never ended till i held down the power button. 

Check that the RAM is correctly "seated" in its slots.  The motherboard may be "complaining" about the RAM.

> The next morning when i went back to the HP tower, i hooked it up like usual to my emachine tower and it loaded into the F8 menu again.

Using the RAM in the eMachines, instead of the RAM in the HP.

> Can i just copy the system32 files from my eMachines hard-drive and somehow load into the XP boot?

No.  See my other post about using CHKDSK, to eliminate the "file not found or corrupt" symptom.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation