cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sebastian428
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

latest version Windows (1709) doesn't have a compatible driver on my HP PC, unable to install update

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer is unable to install updates for Windows 10 Version 1709, even though that is the version running on my PC.

The PC would restart periodically as it was attempting to install updates.

Microsoft determined that my PC isn't compatible to run this latest version, even in a Windows 10 os.

They turned off updates for version 1709, but asked me to find out from HP if they are planning on releasing an updated driver that's compatible to run Window 1709 on my PC.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The PC would restart periodically as it was attempting to install updates.Thanks

What sort of "restart" happens?

Is it a sudden, unexpected, "reset" back to its "power-on" screen?

If so, when it restarts, choose to launch the HP Hardware Diagnostics, and run all the tests of your hardware.

Tell us how it goes.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Sebastian428
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks.  I spent a lot of time with the Microsoft folks, and their solution was to hide the 1709 update that was attempting to load, and then they blocked all future 1709 updates until HP comes up with a compatible driver.  They changed lots of settings, and the problem is gone.  It did kick up a different issue, with Outlook, which they solved eventually too.

They suggested I ask HP when they will have a compatible driver for the 1709 version... meanwhile, all seems to be functioning now.

thanks again

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which device-driver?

Keyboard?

Mouse?

USB ports?

Motherboard chipset?

Integrated video?

Ethernet adapter?

Wireless adapter?

Other?

For example, if the "integrated video" is incompatible, adding in a PCI/PCI-E graphics adapter will bypass the problem, because the integrated video will have been disabled.

Sebastian428
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Microsoft didn't actually say which driver -- they were just hoping that HP was coming out with something that would make my version 1709 work on my system.  At this point, I'm not going to worry about it,lol, as it's working well.

thanks for your help.

mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 10,971 577 1,703
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your computer: HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop PC Product Specifications  states:

Product number: H6U14AA
Release date: 14-Sep-2013
Country/region sold in: United States

The page: Software and driver results for: HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop PC
shows no device-drivers for Windows 10 on the HP Support web-site,
implying that the required device-drivers are included within Windows 10.

The information below lists HP products that have been tested with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

Any PC product that is not listed in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update table was not tested by HP for this update, and may not be supported by HP for Windows 10.

Listed:

HP Pavilion 500-0xx PC
HP 510-0xx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 510-a1xx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 510-p1xx Desktop PC
HP 510-e0xx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 550-axx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 550-0xx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 560-p0xx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion 570-p0xx Desktop PC
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-a1xx
HP Pavilion Power Desktop 580-0xx
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-a6xx

Not listed: your Pavilion 500-164.

But, given that the '500-0xx' and various '510' probably have very-similar hardware to your model, I would expect that it will accept the '1709' release.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation