slic535
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Bought New Computer With a Ram Problem

HP Recommended
410-010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i bought a computer from hp and when i got it one of the memory sticks was sticking out of place. someone didnt push it in all the way. so they sent me windows 10 to reboot and the person on the phone had me turn off ram slot A. I bought 3 of the same computer for work purposes. the other 2 i bought work great but this one with only one slot working is so slow that the computer isnt even worth using. my question is --- How do i turn RAM slot A back on?

5 REPLIES 5
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings slic535,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

You can review the service procedures to remove and install a memory module in a Slimline chassis here.

You will need a browser with the Adobe Flash player enabled to view the video.

Regards

0 Kudos
slic535
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank for trying to help. i have the memory installed. i am haveing a problem trying to find out how to turn on the memory slot so it will work.

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi slic535,

You're very welcome.

I was not aware HP had a BIOS setting to disable motherboard memory slots.

I don't recall ever seeing this option on consumer motherboards.

All memory slots should work when populated with known good, compatible memory modules provided the modules are installed in the correct slot sequence.

Your PC's motherboard uses dual channel memory and has two memory slots. Both slots should work when populated with correct matching memory modules.

You might want to talk to HP Support.

Maybe you have a bad, or incompatible memory module, or the second memory socket is bad.

Regards

0 Kudos
slic535
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

when i got the computer the memory was out of its slot. so the technician had me reboot with windows 10 discs they sent me and then had me turn off dimm 1. i think they thought they were turning it on. i have looked all over the internet and have called them with finding nothing on this and i got no help from them. 

0 Kudos
Grzwacz
Level 12
Level 12
6,774 6,758 638 1,525
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi slic535,

Thanks for more information.

I have never seen a setting in Windows to disable memory slots on the motherboard.

Your PC came with a Windows 10, 64 bit, operating system.

Your PC's motherboard supports up to 16 GB of RAM on a 64 bit operating system.

Your PC was released for sale in 2015. So I guess you are out of warranty. Take the PC to a local PC tech if you are out of warranty.

Maybe the HP tech installed the 32 bit version of Windows10 on your PC. The 32 bit version of Windows can only use up to 4 GB of memory.

HP should be able to undo whatever it did so you can use up to 16 GB of memory again.

There has to be a logical explanation as to why you are limited to only using one memory slot on the motherboard.

Regards

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation