mssr953
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

CD/DVD not displayed in Windows Explorer after inserting CD/DVD into the drive

HP Recommended
pavilion 570-p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

If I insert a CD/DVD disk into the drive, I hear the drive spin-up and after about 20 seconds spin down.  The disk does not show up in Windows Explorer nor do I see any error messages, either on-screen or in the Event Viewer.  I know the disks are OK because they're readable in other systems and because of the following. 

After the drive spins down, if I bring up the Device Manager, select DVD/CD-ROM drives, I see the DVD device.  If I then select the device properties, the disk immediately shows up in Windows Explorer and all is well. 

I notices that the device was not configured for any particular region of the world so I specified United States but that did not help. 

I don't think I've had this problem in the past but there have been numerous Windows/HP updates. 

5 REPLIES 5
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,593
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mssr953,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that the DVD’s are not getting detected on the computer.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2Eqmi7T

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mssr953
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It turns that the problem was caused by McAfee LiveSafe.  I found this out when I uninstalled McAfee to install a different product.  After I uninstalled McAFee but before I installed its replacement, I retried inserting the same CDs that had "failed" and they instantly showed up in Windows Explorer, so problem is now solved. 

The McAfee product was preinstalled by HP, I did not purchase it separately nor did I change any of the settings.  Now that the product is gone, I have no idea what McAfee configuration option(s) I could have been changed to fix this.  If you know the appropriate setting(s) you should bring this to HP's attention so that they can fix it.  As I said, no error message was shown or recorded by Windows.  If I hadn't, by coincidence, decided to install another product and then failed to listen to the little voice in my head that said "try those CDs again", I'd still have the issue.

Now the cause has been identified, I think the help page you recommended, which I had previously viewed before posting my question, would not have helped as it apparently was neither a driver nor a hardware problem.  Nontheless, thank you for your time and effort. 

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mssr953,

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

I would like to know whether the McAfee software was active or expired? It may cause issues if the software was expired. However, I will surely send this feedback to the concerned team.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
mssr953
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

To answer your question, the McAfee product had expired.

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @mssr953,

Thank you for the information.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation