Gwoj
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Cloning C Drive to another SATA drive

HP Recommended
Pavillion 500-205t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

How do I clone the C drive to another SATA drive???

3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,660 32,560 2,959 7,271
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Gwoj

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Answer depends on what you are trying to accomplish ...

What Microsoft calls a "drive" is actually just a formatted section of a physical drive -- and everyone else calls this a "partition", NOT a "drive".

This is important because in Windows PCs, especially those that come preloaded with Windows, there is always another partition that the PC uses to boot, and that is NOT the C "drive".

So, if your intent is to "clone" the needed parts of this physical drive to a different physical drive, so you can use that one in place of this one, you need to clone the BOOT partition as well, otherwise, when you switch drives, your PC will not boot.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-Hard-Drive drive adapter (like the one illustrated below)
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

NOTE: To do this easily, the new drive has to be the same capacity as the old drive.  IF you get a new drive that is a lot smaller, then before you do the cloning, you have to shrink the largest partition on the HDD (usually the OS partition), to the size such that it, and the other partitions, fit easily on the new drive.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Typical USB-to-Hard-Drive adapter:

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
krzemien
Level 7
734 716 33 173
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Or you can also use Acronis with the same result:

https://kb.acronis.com/content/56634

Ideally, in order to have a like-for-like copy you should start computer from bootable media first and create this copy offline.

Either way it's easier than it sounds, trust me!

0 Kudos
Gwoj
Author
5 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure I want to try it if I have to purchase a USB converter. Can I connect the target SATA drive to the internal disk power cable and plug the data cable into the extra port on the Motherboard.???

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation